VOGONS

First post, by devo574

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello Everyone i wanted to showcase a little project i have been working on. I call it DiskClick This is a program made in python that emulates hard drives sound using your C Drive Activity. This is very useful if you have only SSD'S in your computer or just want to hear old hard drives correlated with what your doing. This is actually pretty much the same idea as the popular HDD clicker by Serdashop but in a software form factor. It uses 2 wav samples which you can change in the program by loading a folder with 2 wavs in it. looping and load. The looping is basically just more of a idle and load is the drive actually reading and writing data. Included are some Hard drives i sampled from various videos and my own there not perfect i am not a sound designer but i think there good enough. This app is a proof of concept right now and a little rough around the edges but i think it works well enough to showcase.

Please Do make your own samples and share them in this thread.

You will need a full install of python and PyGame and PSutil

Download link:https://devodev.itch.io/diskclick

Showcase:https://youtu.be/CN-o___Zyw4

Reply 1 of 6, by devo574

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Updated to V.0.0.3
Changelog:
1.Made the program more sensitive to drive activity
2.New Samples Primarily 90's Hard drives
3.Added A toggle For drive ambiance for those that just want the clicks and none of the constant noise.(Note there is a bug where every time you load a new sample both sounds will play in full once its done just click drive ambiance on and off and it will work)
4. Made the UI app a little more compact and added a toggle Window for debugging.

Reply 3 of 6, by devo574

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

​V0.0.5 Changelog
1.Volume Saving(Still Somwhat Buggy)
2. The Most requested feature by far. Mutiple sound samples. Now the app can load a infinite number of load samples to make it more varied and less repetitive.
3.Added at least 1 more load sample to the already present drives showcase this.

Reply 4 of 6, by digistorm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don’t know how the software actually works, but for me the biggest disadvantage to this kind of software (and the Clicker from Serdashop) is that they do not distinguish between 100% disk seeks (from first to last sector) and track-to-track seeks. The latter at often almost inaudible and/or shorter than most random seeks where the head needs to move a lot. Physics and stuff. For me personally it feels unauthentic when loading Word sounds the same as copying or loading a large contiguous file. (If it did make the same noise it would tell me the disk is terribly fragmented).
I have no idea if this can be solved in software because you would have to know the cylinder or LBA address that is accessed and remember it for the next seek.

Reply 5 of 6, by devo574

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
digistorm wrote on 2024-02-20, 09:06:

I don’t know how the software actually works, but for me the biggest disadvantage to this kind of software (and the Clicker from Serdashop) is that they do not distinguish between 100% disk seeks (from first to last sector) and track-to-track seeks. The latter at often almost inaudible and/or shorter than most random seeks where the head needs to move a lot. Physics and stuff. For me personally it feels unauthentic when loading Word sounds the same as copying or loading a large contiguous file. (If it did make the same noise it would tell me the disk is terribly fragmented).
I have no idea if this can be solved in software because you would have to know the cylinder or LBA address that is accessed and remember it for the next seek.

i am aware of this and im doing research into seeing if its possible it may not be but right now its using DISK I/O metric which i plan to swap for something more realistic

Reply 6 of 6, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
devo574 wrote on 2024-02-20, 11:59:
digistorm wrote on 2024-02-20, 09:06:

i am aware of this and im doing research into seeing if its possible it may not be but right now its using DISK I/O metric which i plan to swap for something more realistic

Does not work with HDD LED Connector.

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board