VOGONS

First post, by xtreger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi again! I'm a beginner in all this so apologies if this is a noob question.

I have two motherboards: ASRock 775i65G and Asus P5PKL-AM/PS. And a sound card: Labway A301-G50 Yamaha XG YMF724F-V.

For both motherboards, I did a fresh install of Win98 SE. Immediately after that I installed the sound card driver (yamaha_dsxg_driver.exe - I think this is VXD). I'm also using two DOS games as reference: Prince 1.0 and Skyroads. Both games have 2 kinds of sounds - the music (menu music in Prince, or game music in Skyroads), and game sounds (e.g. footstep/doors opening in Prince or spaceship collision/explosion/landing sounds in Skyroads).

1. For 775i65G: both music and game sounds work perfectly after VXD driver install. The Port, IRQ, DMA values are 220, 5, 1 respectively in Yamaha control panel settings.
  2. For P5PKL-AM/PS: ONLY the music works after VXD driver install, but NO game sounds. On the other hand, if instead of VXD I install the WDM 9x driver, then only the game sounds work, but the music doesn't work. In this case, the Port, IRQ, DMA values are 240, 7, 3 - I'm not sure if this is the source of the issue. On the bright side, the Asus mobo's BIOS gives option to allot various IRQ to either "PCI device" or "Reserved" in case that needs to be adjusted

It's a confusing situation - clearly the sound card is capable of using both music and game sounds for the Asus motherboard, but only one or the other plays depending on the driver.
If anyone can guide me through some way to get both music and game sounds in P5PKL mobo, I'd be really grateful.

Reply 1 of 2, by fjardest

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi
P5PKL-AM/PS has the pci bus behind a pci-e to pci bridge. Maybe legacy ports aren't propagated. SB support on wdm drivers is pure sw, vxd drivers use acceleration from hw that need access to legacy ports. Wdm drivers don't include fm music emulation, you can try to select general midi music.

Reply 2 of 2, by xtreger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
fjardest wrote on 2024-02-14, 21:55:

Hi
P5PKL-AM/PS has the pci bus behind a pci-e to pci bridge. Maybe legacy ports aren't propagated. SB support on wdm drivers is pure sw, vxd drivers use acceleration from hw that need access to legacy ports. Wdm drivers don't include fm music emulation, you can try to select general midi music.

Thanks! I solved the issue. Went to BIOS and switched all IRQ except IRQ 5 to "Reserved" mode. Then I went to the driver settings for the Legacy Codec - went to Resources tab, manually specified IRQ 5 and DMA 1 (as part of a pre-existing profile).