VOGONS

First post, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I am in the process of repairing an AWE64 Value CT4520. It had several damaged or ripped electrolytics on the PCB which I replaced, at which point the ISA bus started seeing the card and initializing it. It works with UNISOUND (which strangely reports only 64KB of AWE RAM, but maybe that is normal) but I only get proper sound out of Line Out. From SPK Out I get (as far as I can tell) nothing from the left channel and a very muffled and very low sound from the right channel. The two Nichikon 470uF 16V caps right after TDA1517P amplifier were somewhat damaged but I left them as I did not have high quality electrolytics to replace them with. Now I think they were probably damaged enough to leak and dry out. Also, the back of the board has discolored towards a brown under these capacitors, as well as the 100uF 16V ones on the other side of the amplifier. Maybe all four are leaking and need to be replaced?

Last edited by appiah4 on 2024-02-16, 04:50. Edited 1 time in total.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 1 of 3, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

likely needs replacing.
and
surely, you mean µF, not nF ?

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 3 of 3, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Replacing the caps did not fix the issue. The TDA1517P on the chip gets uncomfortably hot, and seems to have a brown discoloration; I am pretty sure it is dead. I removed it and replaced it with a socket. A new amplifier is in the mail, and I'll add it in when it arrives.

The card's line out is significantly clearer without the amplifier, by the way, strangely enough.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.