VOGONS

First post, by Demolition-Man

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,
I found an affordable combination of CT1740 sound card and Yamaha DB50XG daughterboard. After initial problems with the sound card, it now works quite well. Only the amplifier seems to be partially defective. But it also works without it. My question is about the daughterboard, under Windows 98 SE. Under real DOS 6.2 everything on General MIDI works, with the usual known SB16 problems. It also works initially on Windows. There aren't many MIDI games there either. I have 3D Ultra Pinball and Age of Empires 1, the latter of which plays the music via CD after the menu. Then I have a bunch of MIDI files that I play back with the media player. Now it gets complicated, the MIDI sound changes at some point. I also have the AOE Theme as MIDI file for example. But then it sounds like coming exclusively from the piano,but not everytime. Also Drums are possible.^^ After a certain amount of time, or after playing, I have no idea how many MIDI files, I'm at a loss. The only thing that helps is a restart. I read something somewhere about Windows software for the daughterboard and something about a reset? Does anyone know what I mean? A problem with the media player? Any setting in Windows 98? Maybe the daughterboard is just defective, but as I said, it always works under DOS. I'm grateful for any help! Thanks!

Edit:
I'm currently testing the General MIDI DOS Games under Windows 98. The address of the sound card is identical there. No change in sound so far. Maybe just with the media player?
Edit2: Freeze after 3-4 Minutes in Duke3D with MIDI. Mhmhm.

Reply 1 of 8, by dominusprog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You have to select the MIDI output in the Control Panel.

Duke_2600.png
A-Trend ATC-1020 V1.1 ❇ Cyrix 6x86 150+ @ 120MHz ❇ 32MiB EDO RAM (8MiBx4) ❇ A-Trend S3 Trio64V2 2MiB
Aztech Pro16 II-3D PnP ❇ 8.4GiB Quantum Fireball ❇ Win95 OSR2 Plus!

Reply 2 of 8, by Demolition-Man

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah i know!
Hard to get P330 MIDI Output without setting it.

Maybe i found some new 30 Old Year bugs. Not the first time.

A tip from me: If you are not sure whether it is real MIDI sound: It always has a reverberation. I hope that's the correct word 😉

Reply 3 of 8, by Demolition-Man

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Found a CD in the Archive.
Does anyone have any further information about this?

Attachments

• DSC_1025.jpg
    Filename
    DSC_1025.jpg
    File size
    117.71 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 5 of 8, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi, I would just like to mention that the DB50XG is available as a software synthesizer on both Windows 9x and 2000/XP (as VXD and WDM, separately): S-YXG50.

That being said, I don't mean to say that it's a substitute to an SB16 and DB50XG*.
In fact, I do own such a combo myself (CT1740+DB50XG).

But I didn't use it on Windows 9x yet. Merely on MS-DOS 6.2.
And a few times on Windows 3.1, to test my copy of Cubase.

_
I just wanted to let you know, it's not a recommendation, even .
I thought that this might be useful to know, especially if Windows 98 is being running all the time.

Maybe DOS games will see the the S-YXG50, if the VXD drivers of a soundcard can connect a virtual MPU-401 to the soft synth.

Some VXD drivers of the Windows 9x era can do all sorts of dark magic, after all.
Like emulating an OPL3 or a Sound Blaster 2.

If not, maybe a second soundcard can be used, with the MIDI equivalent to a "null-modem" cable connecting to your primary soundcard.

So DOS games can talk to a physical MPU-401, and Windows listens on another soundcard for the incoming data for the S-YXG50.

Again, it's just me thinking out loud.
If that works, you could use the SB16+DBX50 in another build that runs plain MS-DOS.

(*I also think the actual, physical DB50XG has a higher quality sound font.)

Edit: There's something that comes to mind..

You can try to install the original MS-DOS and Windows 3.1 drivers from the times of the original non-PnP SB16s.

Maybe they work better with your soundcard, thus.

But please note that there were multiple versions of SB16 drivers.

The 1992/1993 releases may still have 286 support (*DRV drivers, Windows Standard-Mode).

Or if your card has an ASP chip (aka CSP chip), you can try the drivers that Cloudschatze had used.
It may help at sound acceleration, too.

"Accelerating" Windows 95 with Creative's Advanced Signal Processor (CSP)

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 6 of 8, by Demolition-Man

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for the detailed answer.
My experiences with General MIDI so far are limited to the Dreamblaster S2 from Serdashop. It sounds the same always and everywhere. The CT1740 was also supplied with the appropriate drivers on 3-4 diskettes. The oldest ones so far here. But there were problems with the MIDI under pure DOS. Even a restart didn't help. Only with a later SB16 Non PNP driver did everything work. The driver in Windows 98 caused problems because an SB16 was already installed and Windows couldn't do anything with the other card. Maybe it's really the driver, but it's difficult under Windows 98 since it was my primary test PC and had several sound cards installed, including drivers. This is slowly beyond my abilities.

Still questions:
1. The DB50XG daughterboard does not have a user bank that I may activate unintentionally in Windows?
2. If General MIDI always works and sounds the same under DOS, should the daughterboard be intact?
3. Can the sound card or the wavetable header cause problems? I assume it wouldn't work under DOS either.
4. Is there such a thing as the last best driver for a NON PNP SB16 for Windows 98 SE?

Almost forgot: The ASP chip socket is empty.

Thanks!