VOGONS

First post, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've dusted off my 15+ year old Acer Aspire 5920 laptop from 2008 during the Christmas holidays. It's a laptop that I always kept in really good condition and it still looks like new as a result. I upgraded the RAM from 2GB to 4GB RAM, installed Windows 7 Ultimate (right before Steam dropped support for it ... grrrr Valve!) and installed a 2TB SSD. It has a Core2Duo CPU + Nvidia 8600GT graphics card so it's quite capable.

The idea is to use it for Windows 9X & XP retro gaming and for this it would be great if I could have EAX. I'm well aware that since Windows Vista hardware support for EAX is no longer a thing but I have two questions:

- what are the best laptop options (PCMCIA or USB) to have EAX support through OpenAL/Creative Alchemy
- is OpenAL/Creative Alchemy worth even bothering with? I can't seem to find a lot of info except that not everything is compatible

Another option is to ditch Windows 7 and go for Windows XP - the laptop actually does have drivers for Windows XP - but it may be going a bit for just to get EAX.

Retro game fanatic.
IBM PS1 386SX25 - 4MB
IBM Aptiva 486SX33 - 8MB - 2GB CF - SB16
IBM PC350 P233MMX - 64MB - 32GB SSD - AWE64 - Voodoo2
PIII600 - 320MB - 480GB SSD - SB Live! - GF4 Ti 4200
i5-2500k - 3GB - SB Audigy 2 - HD 4870

Reply 1 of 4, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would just stick to Windows XP here, considering the specs and that you want to play pre-Vista games anyway. For me OpenAL/Creative Alchemy never worked that well any time I tried it.

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 2 of 4, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can try using DSOAL. It is an open source interface for DirectSound/DS3D games to OpenAL Soft.
https://community.pcgamingwiki.com/files/file/1363-dsoal/

If the game is natively OpenAL, then you can get OpenAL Soft and use it directly.

If you want to look for hardware, there was an Audigy 2 PCMCIA with DSP processed EAX 4.0. I used to run one. I'm less enamored with EAX than I once was though so I wouldn't say it's worth the effort to get one. They were also problematic on some notebooks because Cardbus chips vary in quality. Just like the fun with hardware audio processing glitches on some PCI chipsets.

Reply 3 of 4, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for the info - it sounds like it might not be worth bothering with. I recall EAX not working that great at times even back in old Windows XP days & I guess the marginal improvement of sound won't be worth the hassle.

Retro game fanatic.
IBM PS1 386SX25 - 4MB
IBM Aptiva 486SX33 - 8MB - 2GB CF - SB16
IBM PC350 P233MMX - 64MB - 32GB SSD - AWE64 - Voodoo2
PIII600 - 320MB - 480GB SSD - SB Live! - GF4 Ti 4200
i5-2500k - 3GB - SB Audigy 2 - HD 4870

Reply 4 of 4, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
red_avatar wrote on 2024-02-22, 10:29:

Thanks for the info - it sounds like it might not be worth bothering with. I recall EAX not working that great at times even back in old Windows XP days & I guess the marginal improvement of sound won't be worth the hassle.

Yeah. I would go with the software options.

It's possible the XP sound drivers for your notebook could have 3D support. Some of them used Sensaura libraries. This might require older drivers though because I think when Creative acquired Sensaura they stopped licensing it.