VOGONS

First post, by ubertrout

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This isn't that old...although it's older than we might like to think. I'm doing a C2Q build where I'm trying to push a Q9650 to the limit for...reasons. I'm going to be using a Gigabyte EP45T-UD3P Rev 1.0, which features ALC889A audio. However, I did recently take a X-Fi Titanium HD out of my main build as my new speakers from Peachtree include a USB DAC, and I'm not currently doing anything with it.

My main question is really just if there's a nontrivial performance boost to disabling the onboard sound and putting the X-Fi in? The X-Fi is a damn good card of course, but to be honest the onboard sound is pretty good too and more than enough for my use case. Let's define nontrivial as more than 1% in games arbitrarily.

Reply 2 of 2, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Back in the audigy and early x-fi days they advertised cpu offloading as a feature and benchmarks did show improvements from my recall, but it seemed like with processors getting faster and faster they started loading tasks back onto the cpu, I’m not convinced a that there was any cpu offloading improvements made after first gen x-fi but the x-fi name went on to cover many cards, some of them look rather limited in their ability to process sound off-system like the first gen ones with memory chips near by did.

I’m not 100% on this please comment and set me straight here. Is this notion correct or off base?

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)