VOGONS

First post, by RetroWolf92

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I posted about this before about two years ago.
To put simply, I have two SC-55, only one of which (the Mk.II) I use on my modern rig for old games as well as music composition. Something I notice about the playback with both SC-55s is that they don't correctly loop some MIDIs.
For example, "I Sawed the Demons" from Doom. At the end, there's usually a silence at the end of the track's last bar before it loops, but both of my SC-55s skip the silence and go right back into the beginning of the track.

My SC-55 Mk.II is connected to my modern rig as follows:

Roland UM-ONE Mk.II for sending MIDI data to SC-55
Cable which is Stereo RCA Male on one end plugged into SC- 55's RCA out, and other end which is 3.5mm aux male plugged into rear "Line-In" port on back of PC.

Anyone have any ideas on what's causing this or how it could be fixed? My only guess is buffer size on the USB is too big or small but I'm not sure.

Reply 2 of 6, by auron

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

what makes you think that that particular track should have silence at the end? there is some kind of OST version with extra reverb on youtube that does, but ingame i don't get the silence either. or maybe it differs between versions of the game, because the audio driver changed over time as well.

you didn't mention how you play doom on your modern PC, but for a long time a lot of source ports had trouble with MIDIs stuttering briefly after starting: https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/131558- … ardware-module/

Reply 3 of 6, by RetroWolf92

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
auron wrote on 2024-03-05, 12:07:

what makes you think that that particular track should have silence at the end? there is some kind of OST version with extra reverb on youtube that does, but ingame i don't get the silence either. or maybe it differs between versions of the game, because the audio driver changed over time as well.

you didn't mention how you play doom on your modern PC, but for a long time a lot of source ports had trouble with MIDIs stuttering briefly after starting: https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/131558- … ardware-module/

It happens when I play a MIDI through Windows Media Player and Media Player Classic, as well as when emulating DOS Doom via DOSBox, and many source ports.
I don't exactly understand why specificity in regards to where the MIDIs are played. My goal is to solve the problem on a global level.

To clear away any misunderstanding of what I mean, I have provided an audio excerpt of what I was previously describing.

Attachments

• Filename
    sc55_loop_weird.mp3
    File size
    483.75 KiB
    Downloads
    6 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 4 of 6, by auron

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

well you haven't mentioned anything about the first notes after the loop being played too quickly, you just said it's skipping some silence at the end. your example matches the issue i mentioned in my previous post, i have also checked it in dosbox (old 0.74 version) and it's somewhat present there too but differently, as dosbox has for some reason always been wonky with usb midi interfaces for me and exhibits little timing issues across the entire track. i don't use it much anyway but perhaps the newer builds improve on this. i would also suggest to try if any of the recommended source ports in the thread i mentioned address the issue.

Reply 5 of 6, by RetroWolf92

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
auron wrote on 2024-03-06, 21:31:

well you haven't mentioned anything about the first notes after the loop being played too quickly, you just said it's skipping some silence at the end. your example matches the issue i mentioned in my previous post, i have also checked it in dosbox (old 0.74 version) and it's somewhat present there too but differently, as dosbox has for some reason always been wonky with usb midi interfaces for me and exhibits little timing issues across the entire track. i don't use it much anyway but perhaps the newer builds improve on this. i would also suggest to try if any of the recommended source ports in the thread i mentioned address the issue.

I tested a bunch of source ports (GZDoom, ZDoom, Skulltag, Zandronum) and it varies, but still most exhibit this issue.
Again, I am looking for solutions on a global level so that MIDI playback is as consistent across my computer as can be.

Reply 6 of 6, by auron

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

all of that modern MIDI supporting software is going to be overwhelmingly used with softsynths instead of hardware MIDI interfaces, the latter may be such a small minority of users in 2024 that issues like this aren't even reported. on the roland interface side, besides selecting advanced driver on the unit, i'm not aware of any possible settings either. with all that in mind i doubt there is a "global solution", your best bet is to try different builds/versions of stuff and report problems to the developers. for doom, there are still several other source ports that are marked as good in that thread.

for pure MIDI playback, i've had the best experience with the old japanese TMIDI player, which also has an option to "adjust transfer rate" or similar that can help in these cases. get the translated version here: https://www.mediafire.com/?qd45n380b0djsw4

i've also come across MIDI files that don't play correctly on hardware synths because they were clearly written with softsynths in mind and exceed the hardware MIDI spec in some ways.