First post, by predator_085

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

like mentioned in my other thread I am about to gift my

Asus CUV4X-CME
P3 800 mhz
Voodoo 3 3000 agp

Gaming system with sound card. So far I was using the onboard audio of the mainboard

Plan A was to get a good all-around Sound card that supports A3d and EAX.

Due to some real live expenses, my budget was reduced quite significantly to the 20 euro range only.

So I decided to the EAX route with the Sound Blaster Live or Audigy 1 or Audigy 2 cards.

2 sound cards available online have caught my attention

card 1 is the Creative Sound Blaster Audigy - SB0160 and card 2 which is a bit more expensive the Creative Labs Sound Blaster PCI Audigy 2 SB0240 - Vintage Sound Card

Would it be worth getting the more expensive Audigy 2 over the cheaper Audigy 1 or would there be a practical difference between the 2 cards?

ps if think there might be other cards in the 20 to 30 Euro range worth checking out please feel free to recommend them.

Reply 1 of 2, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Audigy 2 has slightly cleaner output and 6.1 surround sound support, otherwise both cards are fairly similar.

Note that Audigy 1 has official DOS gaming support, but this can be added to the Audigy 2 through modified drivers. Also, the stock drivers (from the install CD) for Audigy 1 don't have CMSS and some other features which became common later on. You can easily upgrade the drivers either by downloading them from Creative's website (WDM version) or by following my guide (VxD version).

One last thing to note, Audigy 1 cards suffer from the latency bug on VIA chipsets, just like the SBLive cards. Creative (mostly) fixed this issue on their end with the Audigy 2.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 2 of 2, by predator_085

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2024-03-06, 17:21:

Audigy 2 has slightly cleaner output and 6.1 surround sound support, otherwise both cards are fairly similar.

Note that Audigy 1 has official DOS gaming support, but this can be added to the Audigy 2 through modified drivers. Also, the stock drivers (from the install CD) for Audigy 1 don't have CMSS and some other features which became common later on. You can easily upgrade the drivers either by downloading them from Creative's website (WDM version) or by following my guide (VxD version).

One last thing to note, Audigy 1 cards suffer from the latency bug on VIA chipsets, just like the SBLive cards. Creative (mostly) fixed this issue on their end with the Audigy 2.

Thanks a lot for the detailed answer. I will go for the Audigy 2 then.

Was not aware Audigy 1 cards suffer from latency bug. That's good to know since my Asus mainboard is using A via chipset. So going with the Audigy 2 to circumvent the problem would be a wise thing to do.