VOGONS

First post, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've run into an issue using an Audigy 2 ZS (retail version) under Windows XP where it produces a loud high-pitched digital interference sound when EAX or CMSS 3D 2 is enabled (regular CMSS 3D seems fine).

In testing, I've traced the issue to the Reverb effect within the suite of EAX effects found under the EAX Control Panel.

EAX Control Panel - Audigy 2 ZS WinXP.jpg
Filename
EAX Control Panel - Audigy 2 ZS WinXP.jpg
File size
320.65 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

In testing playback using Windows 98 SE at normal listening volumes, if I set the Reverb to maximum (0.0dB), I can hear a faint digital noise sound. If I turn down the effect volume to -6dB then the noise sound is inaudible.

With Windows XP, if I perform the same test at -30dB there is no noise, but by -24dB the noise is audible. As the turn the effect volume up, it gets louder. At maximum (0.0dB) the noise is basically the same level of normal audio playback.

Things I've tried so far include:

1) Different mixer settings and muting all inputs.
2) Tried a variety of Windows XP drivers ranging from the original install disk to the latest 2.18.0017 drivers available from Creative Labs.
3) Removed all other PCI cards and tested the Audigy 2 ZS in different PCI slots.
4) Tested the card under a clean install of Windows 2000 (same noise problem).
5) Tested a completely different Audigy 2 ZS card (OEM version) under Windows XP (same noise problem).
6) Tried installing DanielK's driver pack (8.1). Same noise problem.

None of the above tests made any difference. The noise persists.

A few more notes:

1) This was all performed in the same build, a Pentium 4 2.8GHz + Asus P4S533-E motherboard. All operating systems were 'clean' installs.
2) Windows 98 SE is using VxD drivers whereas I'm assuming XP and 2000 are using WDM drivers.
3) I had previously replaced four capacitors on the retail Audigy 2 ZS to correct faint static noise. Those static sounds were not the same as the noise being generated via the EAX reverb.
4) None of the other EAX effects appear to generate this noise. Only the Reverb effect.

I haven't tried setting up another test system yet. That may be my next step.

I'm curious if anyone has any suggestions on anything that might address this so far. I've tried Googling this and can't find an exact case of this specific problem. There are a lot posts of people complaining about noise issues with Audigy cards, but I didn't find any that traced it to the Reverb effect specifically.

Last edited by Shponglefan on 2024-03-09, 23:29. Edited 1 time in total.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 1 of 6, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Try DanielK's Audigy driver pack.

The latest version installs fine on WinXP + SP3.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 2 of 6, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2024-03-09, 22:01:

Try DanielK's Audigy driver pack.

The latest version installs fine on WinXP + SP3.

Just tried his Audigy Support Pack 8.1.

I uninstalled all the previous drivers/software, then installed his drivers.

While the drivers installed fine, it didn't fix the issue. I'm getting the exact same noise problem as before.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build

Reply 3 of 6, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Update:

I set up a test bench using a Pentium 4 3GHz and an Intel D875PBZ motherboard. Did a clean install of Windows XP SP3 and then installed the Audigy 2 ZS.

I tried both the DanielK Audigy Support Pack 8.1 and the Audigy 2 ZS install CD. Both drivers worked and there was no audible noise whatsoever using EAX or CMSS 2. Even cranking the volume to maximum, the card was blissfully silent. So it appears the card itself is fine.

I did run into a problem with the DanielK pack, however. It caused Windows XP to not shut down properly; it would just hang. Uninstalling everything fixed the issue.

Afterwards, I re-installed the Audigy into the Asus P4S533-E setup. As expected, the noise was still there.

I tried further experiments swapping out the processor, RAM, GPU, even removing floppy, DVD-ROM, and CF card connections. Also tried disabling every extraneous hardware device in the BIOS. None of this made a difference.

For my next step, I think I'll try removing the motherboard and setting it up standalone with a different PSU, and do a completely clean Windows XP setup. If the noise still persists then it may just be a weird hardware incompatibility between these devices.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build

Reply 4 of 6, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Shponglefan wrote on 2024-03-11, 00:26:

I did run into a problem with the DanielK pack, however. It caused Windows XP to not shut down properly; it would just hang.

I've been using DanielK's Audigy drivers on all of my retro rigs which run WinXP and have an Audigy card installed. So far, I've never encountered that shutdown issue.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 5 of 6, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2024-03-11, 06:29:

I've been using DanielK's Audigy drivers on all of my retro rigs which run WinXP and have an Audigy card installed. So far, I've never encountered that shutdown issue.

Yeah, I'm not sure what the cause was.

FWIW, I did a full install of that pack on my test bench. Whereas on my multi-boot rig, I selectively installed only some of the components/programs.

I suspect one of the additional programs I installed with the full install may have been the cause. However, I didn't bother taking the time to troubleshoot this since my main concern was diagnosing the noise issue.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build

Reply 6 of 6, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Took everything apart and tried with a completely different PSU. I even tried not connecting the 4-pin molex connector (aux power) the motherboard has to see if that would make a difference. Board boots fine, but the noise is still there.

Did some further experiments with various PCI settings (latency, etc.), other BIOS settings, disabling DMA on the drives... At this point I'm just shooting in the dark. Nothing has fixed the issue.

It seems like this board is somehow incompatible with the Audigy 2 ZS with EAX reverb. Which seems like an oddly specific incompatibility.

Short of just using a different motherboard, I don't know what else to try.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build