VOGONS

First post, by sydres

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Never having owned an external midi module I was very pleased to get a deal on an Roland ra-30, which I believe has had some discussion around these parts in the past. After getting a proper midi cable and sound cables I hooked the unit up to my audician 32 sound card and configured it under win98. I fired up a round of Doom and got great midi sound, able to control volume with the ra-30. About 5 minutes in I got a hanging note which didn't go away until I shut the ra-30 off. After getting things going again I tried another game- simcity 2000 and had it happen again after a few minutes of play. Other games were tried and did not have this issue even tried another round of Doom and did not have any problems seems random!
I always assumed hanging midi notes was a problem with sound blaster cards exclusively, or is the midi unit I'm using the issue?

Reply 1 of 5, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've used a couple of different midi boards on my Audician 32 (Dreamblaster S1 and a Roland one, I forget the model) and had no issues. Never tried an external midi player, though.

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 2 of 5, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a Yamaha YMF719 card hooked up to a Roland SC-155 and it works fine. No hanging notes during MIDI playback.

What sort of cable are you using to connect your card to the RA-30? The typical eBay kind are not always of good quality. Also, this info about MIDI IN might be relevant.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 3 of 5, by sydres

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The cable is a Casio brand cable. It was new in package.
I don't know if Casio made good cables but I trust the brand more than generic eBay cables. And looking at the other thread might explain it since I had both plugs in the back of the module?

Reply 4 of 5, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You definitely want to keep the MIDI IN cable disconnected, a number of games will misbehave when the MIDI synth can talk back to the computer/sound card/game.
As others, I have not experienced any issues with YMF71x and MIDI output in any game I have tried but the cards bearing this chip vary in quality quite a lot and some are terrible, some not so much...

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 5 of 5, by sydres

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I haven't had any real complaints about the card but I should be getting in the mail what I believe is a ct3670 judging by the picture of the eBay sellers hand holding the card. Actually all I could make out was the ram slots and the position of one chip next to it. I will try on this card when it arrives