VOGONS

First post, by jaskamakkara

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone. I wish to output a digital signal from my SB0060 sound card (running in a Windows 98 machine, if it matters). I understand that my model of sound card can output an S/PDIF signal through the subwoofer out port, but I am unsure how to hook this up. Do I need some kind of proprietary or special cable? Anyone done this?

Thanks for any help!

EDIT - just to clarify, I am also using the 5" front panel device (Live Drive?) which is connected to the large pin header at the back end of the card. I realise I can just connect a coax/optical cable to this but I would like to be able to output digital audio from the back of the machine, if possible.

Reply 1 of 2, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You can get SPDIF from that card by simply plugging in 3.5mm to RCA mono adapter into the digital out port (orange jack) and selecting "Digital Output Only" in the drivers. I showcase the process in this post.

Note that this is only for stereo sound. If you want 5.1 surround sound over a digital connection, I think you may need a different adapter.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 2 of 2, by jaskamakkara

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2024-03-13, 09:58:

You can get SPDIF from that card by simply plugging in 3.5mm to RCA mono adapter into the digital out port (orange jack) and selecting "Digital Output Only" in the drivers. I showcase the process in this post.

Note that this is only for stereo sound. If you want 5.1 surround sound over a digital connection, I think you may need a different adapter.

OK, thanks for the info. Stereo is sufficient since I only have a stereo setup. I will get hold of one of those adapters and give it a go.