VOGONS

First post, by Dhall

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello!

I'm not really a tech-guy and I would appreciate if you could help me with a MIDI problem.

I was using Bassmidi for a long time, I liked the different soundfonts when playing old games. Recently I could not find Bassmidi so I downloaded VirtualMidiSynth. Everything worked fine. Then I followed a video where they told me to alter a string using Regedit.

The string is "midimapper" found in Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32

The basic value for this is "midimap.dll". I edited it to "VirtualMIDISynth\VirtualMIDISynth.dll"

After doing this Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth disappeared. I uninstalled VirtualMidiSynth then reedited the string in regedit to the original "midimap.dll" rebooted and still there is no sign of Microsoft's built in Synth.

For Dosbox it is not a problem, I can use Bassmidi or other synth programs and use the midiconfig = % to set the desired midi channel.

However right now it most programs that use Midi (for example Age of Empires 1) are silent because they would like to use GS Synth but they cannot. VLC player also complains that there is no MIDI device.

In Dosbox if I use "mixer /listmidi" there is NO Microsoft GS Synth listed.

I checked in Device Manager under "Software Devices" and I can see "Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth" just working fine. Tried disabling / enabling it, uninstalled it, reinstalled it...nothing helps.

I know it is not a Dosbox problem in particular but I would really appreciate if somebody could give me a hint about how to get back Microsoft's Synth because there are programs where I cannot manually set the MIDI device.

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• midiregistry.jpg
    Filename
    midiregistry.jpg
    File size
    8.97 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • midideviceman.jpg
    Filename
    midideviceman.jpg
    File size
    23.14 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Devicemanager
    File license
  • dosboxmidi.jpg
    Filename
    dosboxmidi.jpg
    File size
    72.36 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Dosbox midi list
    File license

However..I'm worried about the beaver competition.

Reply 2 of 4, by Dhall

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Spikey wrote on 2024-03-19, 06:16:

In VirtualMIDISynth, what devices show up under MIDI mapper?

It shows everything, even GS wavetable but it does not work. If I uninstall Bassmidi then Bassmidi is obviously not on the list.

If I set the default MIDI device to GS Wavetable and start a program that uses midi - for example Dosbox - it shows me the attached error message. "Cant open target device".

If uninstall the mapper and bassmidi then all these programs simply remain silent. So the current "solution" is that I use this third party MIDImapper and set it for Bassmidi as default....this way after loading a sound font at least I have a midi device but GS Wavetable is just not working which is something I have never seen before.

Again, the string value in regedit is right, I got the midimap.dll file right in the System32 folder and Device Manager shows it as "working properly". I just don't get it.

(I am aware that this is not particularly a Dosbox issues but it affects Dosbox too so that is why I created this post. )

Attachments

• MIDIerror.jpg
    Filename
    MIDIerror.jpg
    File size
    9.13 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • midimapper.jpg
    Filename
    midimapper.jpg
    File size
    19.88 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 4 of 4, by Dhall

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
stanwebber wrote on 2024-03-19, 12:51:

what os are you running?

A very standard, older system from 2021.

OS: Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.19045.4170] (from cmd)
SoundCard: integrated into the board, the one from Asrock B460 Phantom Gaming 4 - Realtek generic garbage.

Never had a problem until I edited that string value mentioned above. Now no matter what I do (including re-editing it) GS Wavetable Synth is not working. I don't have a Regedit backup file.

On Microsoft forums they haven't the faintest how this could happen. I was told to disable "Give exclusive mode to applications priority" in Control Panel / Sounds. Did that.....it did nothing.

I performed a "Clean Boot" because I feel they were focused on some incompatibility issues with a software....again to no avail.

Thing is....I have not installed ANY new software....I was just enjoying Bassmidi and loading different sound fonts for different games. The only thing I can think of is that I edited the aboved mentioned string and now things do not work even though I uninstall VirtualSynthMidi, VirtualSynthMidiMapper, Bassmidi.....basically everything that I used for years without a problem.

It was this key: "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32"
String name? Midimapper, value = midimap.dll.

Checked it a thousand times, it is fine and midimap.dll is in System32 folder as it should be....I see no evidence of corruption. The GS Wavetable just does not work. I don't think it is a compatibility issue, I think it is an issue with Windows.

Attachments

• regeditmidi.jpg
    Filename
    regeditmidi.jpg
    File size
    31.23 KiB
    Views
    File license