VOGONS

First post, by APT97

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there, I have a question about the MT-32 (or CM-32L). If I were to hook one up to a sound card that already has a Wavetable board on it like a Dreamblaster, would there be any conflicts or issues with this? Say I wanted to play a General MIDI game, then wanted to switch to playing a game that only works with the MT-32, would this be possible? Would the game somehow know which one to use?

1. MSI MS-5156 430TX, PMMX 233, Matrox Millenium 1, Voodoo 1, ESS AudioDrive 1868f, 32MB RAM
  2. MSI MS-6163 440BX, P3 1ghz, Gf4 Ti 4200 8x, Voodoo 2, Sound Blaster Live, 256MB RAM
  3. Asus P8Z77V-LX, i7-3770, GTX 750 Ti, X-Fi Titanium, 8GB RAM

Reply 1 of 7, by zuldan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My sound cards always default to the wavetable header for a midi source if there is something plugged in. They only revert to the game port for midi when the wavetable header has nothing in it.

Reply 2 of 7, by Snoozer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've never seen any option to switch between the wavetable and the MIDI port on any sound card. I expect the easiest option would be to install a second sound card and configure the MIDI port at a different address. A dedicated midi card that supports intelligent mode, such as the Pico-GUS, could be a good option if you want maximum compatibility.

Reply 3 of 7, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My experience is that sound cards will simply output MIDI signals to both gameport and wavetable headers. This means that you could get both devices (wavetable and MT-32) triggering at the same time.

To solve this, you need to mute the audio from one or the other. This means either using an external mixer to control sound card and MT-32 audio, or muting the wavetable on the sound card using software.

Some sound cards might have the option to route MIDI signals to wavetable or gameport but not at the same time. This would require using whatever software or driver options for that card to specify routing.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 4 of 7, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Second that.

I can confirm on both Aztech 3rd gen cards and ESS Solo-1 it works that way; the card just has one MIDI output and both the wavetable header and DA15 port are wired up to it.

There are cards out there with more complex setups, things like the Terratec EWS64 cards have two separate MIDI interfaces - one for the internal GM synth, another for the external port. But that is very exceptional on big, complex cards.

Reply 5 of 7, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi, it's also possible to use two different soundcards (or MPU-401 cards) for MIDI.
Let's say, one is "intelligent" and has an MT-32 synth connected to it, while to other one might be a "dumb" UART type.

MIDI Port 330h.. MT-32
MIDI Port 300h.. GM

Generally speaking, modern DOS games that rely on GM or GS/XG music do use Miles Sound System or any other sound system and can accept an MPU at any i/o port.
Newer MT-32 titles from 1990 up do also support this, I think. Gateway series comes to mind.
It's mainly the older DOS games who expect an intelligent MPU-401 to be at port 330h.

Edit: Snoozer already had essentially mentioned this before.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 6 of 7, by Tempus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I run a computer with GS at 332, LA synths at 330, and UART at 300, but I still have to use a mixer for mixing the cards with internal and external sound, like MT-32 which is connected to an LAPC-I.

Akumajō Dracula: Belmont's Theme Roland MT-32 | Yamaha YM2151

Reply 7 of 7, by sfryers

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

For my ESS Solo-1, I use a pair of one-line batch files to mute/unmute the wavetable and line in connections as required:

GENMIDI.BAT:

C:\ESSVOL.EXE /v:15 /l:0 /a:15

MT32.BAT:

C:\ESSVOL.EXE /v:15 /l:15 /a:0

It ought to be possible to do something similar with any other sound card for which mixer settings can be controlled from the command line. It can also be fun to enable both mixer sources, send Roland's MTGM.SYX to the MT-32 and run it in combination with the wavetable card for extra depth.

MT-32 Editor- a timbre editor and patch librarian for Roland MT-32 compatible devices: https://github.com/sfryers/MT32Editor