VOGONS

First post, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It seems like this happens pretty frequently still, so maybe we should make a thread for it? It never ceases to amaze me how many obscure cards there are out there...

I'll start. I was sent pictures of this odd sound card in this old custom built PC, but I am unable to get anything clearer or more direct.

sc1.jpg
Filename
sc1.jpg
File size
247.9 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
sc2.jpg
Filename
sc2.jpg
File size
210.11 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
sc3.jpg
Filename
sc3.jpg
File size
227.33 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
sc4.jpg
Filename
sc4.jpg
File size
174.61 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Things I notice:

2 black plastic 3.5mm plugs on one end, Volume dial, one metal 3.5mm plug in the middle, gameport

Looks to be an 8bit ISA card, though it is a little hard to tell

Total length of the card is only about as long as a 16bit ISA slot

I see none of the usual "squarish" shaped chips that you'd find on a later, more highly integrated device, and there appear to be a lot of discrete components... reminiscent of a card from the very early 90s, and yet not huge.

CD-ROM and PC speaker, audio input.

Some larger chips... possibly an OPL2?

The rest of the PC looks newer, with what is probably an Intel 430HX or 430VX board and I believe an S3 Virge.

It doesn't appear to be a Sound Blaster of any kind, so it is probably some obscure clone of an SB 2.0... but it has even less integrated components than the old CT1350B and yet is smaller. Quite puzzling!

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 1 of 5, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

yep, this is almost certainly a SB2.0 clone card
kinda out of place in a p1 system though

edit: 🤣 , by pure chance this exact soundcard is on sale on AmiBay - seller says it's a "master boomer"
there are 2 pals on the card that is why it is small in size

Attachments

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2 of 5, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote on 2024-03-20, 18:51:
yep, this is almost certainly a SB2.0 clone card kinda out of place in a p1 system though […]
Show full quote

yep, this is almost certainly a SB2.0 clone card
kinda out of place in a p1 system though

edit: 🤣 , by pure chance this exact soundcard is on sale on AmiBay - seller says it's a "master boomer"
there are 2 pals on the card that is why it is small in size

Amazing! Thanks Keropi!

I love hunting for stuff like this. I could pick out the important details but I have never heard of a "Master Boomer" so it's no surprise that one didn't turn up in my searching. Were you looking for it when you found it on Amibay or was that totally by chance?

I'm assuming the SC801 is an OPL2 clone. It also looks like the person who took that pic moved the QC sticker on theirs, but it is still there at least. 😁

... and L O L ... Master Boomer... 🤣

EDIT: Found a thread here about that card, or at least one with the same FCC ID:
Protac AV202P3 - Can anybody tell me *anything* about this card and how to get it working?

Reply 3 of 5, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

it was pure coincidence
and yes, the SC801 is a known OPL2 clone - and on the amibay card the 74LS74 weird looking chip on the right side is the DAC clone

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 5 of 5, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kixs wrote on 2024-03-20, 20:14:

What a coincidence... I've bought the card on AmiBay and then saw this thread about it 🤣

This is getting strange. 🤣

I think before we end up with yet another weird coincidence involving the "Master Boomer" we need someone to post a totally different weird sound card that they can't identify.