VOGONS

First post, by predator_085

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have recently completed my first Voodoo 3 gaming system with the last component missing the sound card. I grabbed a Creative Audigy 2 sound card and after some fumbling it works very well. EAX is an awesome feature.

Now I am working to give this little family pc

Intel S 478 I845E mainboard
256MB DDR Ram from Sattron
Intel P4 2.66 MHZ
40 GB Hardrive Seagate Baracuda

a new life. The GPU is already in and working I went for a Geforce Mx 460 card.

After being quite happy with the Audigy 2 card I am considering buying a second one for Computer No 2.

What do you guys think? Is getting another Audigy 2 a no-brainer or would you recommend something else?

Reply 1 of 25, by elszgensa

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sure, why not. I noticed your components all date toward the end of your target time frame, making them just barely period correct... but then you already knew that, and having a bit of spare power on tap doesn't hurt.

Since you enjoy EAX, maybe look into getting a Vortex card too, for some A3D action. A3D 2.0 is kinda expensive now, but first generation cards can still be had for an acceptable price.

Reply 2 of 25, by predator_085

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
elszgensa wrote on 2024-03-22, 18:08:

Sure, why not. I noticed your components all date toward the end of your target time frame, making them just barely period correct... but then you already knew that, and having a bit of spare power on tap doesn't hurt.

Since you enjoy EAX, maybe look into getting a Vortex card too, for some A3D action. A3D 2.0 is kinda expensive now, but first generation cards can still be had for an acceptable price.

Thanks for the reply. Looking into the Vortex cards would be not bad idea indeed. Have already considered to get one for my Voodoo 3 System but then I went with the Audigy 2.

But considering a Aureal card again for my second rig would be possible indeed.

Reply 4 of 25, by elszgensa

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

> Aureal was killed in 2000

Aureal the company, yes. But a couple games using the tech were still in development at that point.

Also notice I said to get such a card too. It certainly isn't a replacement for EAX, just a maybe-nice-to-have addon. If in doubt, go for EAX.

Reply 5 of 25, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

OP stated this is for a Windows XP system. A3D wasn't supported under XP.

For an early Windows XP system, an Audigy 2 or Audigy 2 ZS would be ideal.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 6 of 25, by predator_085

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for the info. The last time I have considered a A3d was for my Win 98SE System. So I was not aware that A3d is not compatible with Win XP. getting aural card for my win 98se system sounds like a interesting day. Trying out a3d is one my bucket list.

For my XP System I will get Audigy 2 or a Audigy 2 Zs card. The Audigy 2 zs card would be th better but also more expensive card.

What do you guys think would it be a neat idea to get the better Audigy 2 Zs card or would be the audio quality difference between the normal audigy 2 and the zs neglectable when using 5.1 speakers?

Reply 8 of 25, by predator_085

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
doanster wrote on 2024-03-24, 16:43:

A Turtle Beach Santa Cruz would be a good card that supports A3D (1.0), EAX (1,2), and Sensaura (+gameCODA). I used to use one with my old P4 2.6GHz machine on WinXP and it was great!

Thanks for the recommendation. I was looking into the Santa Cruz card already as a potential card for my Win 98 system. Considering it again for the Win XP system would be a good option in case I can find one card at a good price.

Edit: there are some Turtle Beach cards available on my ebay at a decent price. So i will seriously consider one.

Reply 9 of 25, by andrea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Warning: this post might be considered heresy.

Intel-made boards of that period should have a good Analog Devices AC97 codec on them, and the accompanying circuitry/design should also be not bad at all.
All the bad things you hear about late 90s and early 00s onboard sound are very true considering the typical Avance Logic/Realtek AC97 codec and substandard circuitry on the average taiwanese board but, in my opinion, they don't apply to Intel boards.
Yes, you will have a 0,nothing percent more CPU usage compared to using a sound card with hardware acceleration/offloading but a) with a MX460 you still have CPU power to spare, and b) this multimedia stuff is one of the few things a P4 excels at.

The AD SoundMax drivers should also do some sort of EAX and A3D emulation, but I've never tried how good it is (on a hunch I'd say good A3d and better-than-nothing EAX, but I've no data to back that up)

If I were in your shoes I'd give the onboard sound a serious consideration, and use the money you'd spend on the sound card to get some more ram instead.

Reply 10 of 25, by predator_085

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
andrea wrote on 2024-03-25, 21:43:
Warning: this post might be considered heresy. […]
Show full quote

Intel-made boards of that period should have a good Analog Devices AC97 codec on them, and the accompanying circuitry/design should also be not bad at all.
All the bad things you hear about late 90s and early 00s onboard sound are very true considering the typical Avance Logic/Realtek AC97 codec and substandard circuitry on the average taiwanese board but, in my opinion, they don't apply to Intel boards.
Yes, you will have a 0,nothing percent more CPU usage compared to using a sound card with hardware acceleration/offloading but a) with a MX460 you still have CPU power to spare, and b) this multimedia stuff is one of the few things a P4 excels at.

The AD SoundMax drivers should also do some sort of EAX and A3D emulation, but I've never tried how good it is (on a hunch I'd say good A3d and better-than-nothing EAX, but I've no data to back that up)

If I were in your shoes I'd give the onboard sound a serious consideration, and use the money you'd spend on the sound card to get some more ram instead.

That's a interesting new point I have not considered yet. Worth checking out for sure.

@all What is your opinion on the above mentioned point?

Reply 11 of 25, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
predator_085 wrote on 2024-03-26, 11:28:

@all What is your opinion on the above mentioned point?

I agree 100% it's heresy 😉

But seriously I don't mind onboard but as andrea even said you basically loose EAX How important this is will depend on your games and your own personal taste.

If you wanted you could "borrow" the Audigy from your Win98 PC and try out both in XP and compare.

Reply 12 of 25, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
andrea wrote on 2024-03-25, 21:43:
Warning: this post might be considered heresy. […]
Show full quote

Another potential option is to use a USB DAC with class compliant (UAC 1.0) drivers. I have never used one of those on truly ancient hardware (pre-2002ish) other than for brief testing .

Reply 13 of 25, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you are solely running WinXP on that rig, I don't see the point in using anything other than an X-Fi card.

The improved SRC algorithm alone makes it superior to Creative's previous cards. And the newer CMSS-3D implementation is nice if you want to play with headphones.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 14 of 25, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2024-03-27, 02:25:

If you are solely running WinXP on that rig, I don't see the point in using anything other than an X-Fi card.

The improved SRC algorithm alone makes it superior to Creative's previous cards. And the newer CMSS-3D implementation is nice if you want to play with headphones.

XP and an X-FI are a very good combo.

I have Windows 10 with an X-FI + front panel (SB0250) through a PLX PCI Express to PCI bridge and it works flawlessly.

Reply 15 of 25, by crusher

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I also recommend a SB X-FI.
I have a X-FI HD (that's just the external variant) in my XP system, too and are very happy with it. Absolutely no problems and 3D sound using headphones is awesome!
It features very good EAX support.

Reply 16 of 25, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A full Audigy card (not the budget ones that don't do hardware accelerated EAX).

Aureal was the king of audio in W98 era but was dying by the time Win2k came around with half assed drivers and dead when XP was around.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 17 of 25, by predator_085

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@All Thx for the further information. Have not considered to look beyond the Audigy 2 card. But since I am planning to use the P4 system exclusively

Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2024-03-27, 02:25:

The X-Fi sounds like a good option. I will look put further research into that.

Reply 18 of 25, by Kouwes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just finished building my WinXP rig and I also used a X-Fi card. X-Fi xtreme gamer, came like new in the original box with manuals and driver cd for €10.
Works very well in XP! And yeah, extra awesome with headphones. Try Doom3 with / without EAX!

Edit: oops, not enough RAM and also with that GPU Doom3 won‘t run on your system