VOGONS

First post, by stry8993

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have an Aureal Vortex 2... when I bought it, I thought there was some scorching on one of the teeth... turns out it was rust 😳. Or what looks to be. I tried plugging it in, and the card just won't function, sadly. What I was hoping, and I figured this would be the best place, is that someone on here of good repute would be willing to take on the task (ofcourse for payment!) to repair the vaunted ol' soundcard of legend.

If anyone has any suggestions, or knows where I could look, it'd be really appreciated. I do not want this card to become ewaste.

Reply 1 of 4, by Nsilver

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
stry8993 wrote on 2024-03-23, 21:27:

I have an Aureal Vortex 2... when I bought it, I thought there was some scorching on one of the teeth... turns out it was rust 😳. Or what looks to be. I tried plugging it in, and the card just won't function, sadly. What I was hoping, and I figured this would be the best place, is that someone on here of good repute would be willing to take on the task (ofcourse for payment!) to repair the vaunted ol' soundcard of legend.

If anyone has any suggestions, or knows where I could look, it'd be really appreciated. I do not want this card to become ewaste.

I don't know the one. But I wish you will find the one soon.

Reply 2 of 4, by danieljm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Unless it's particularly bad, the rust should just be on the surface of the contact. Using something like a fibreglass pen should be able to clean it up. Just be gentle and be careful not to scratch off more than necessary.

Reply 3 of 4, by stry8993

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
danieljm wrote on 2024-03-25, 18:53:

Unless it's particularly bad, the rust should just be on the surface of the contact. Using something like a fibreglass pen should be able to clean it up. Just be gentle and be careful not to scratch off more than necessary.

Hmm, I didn't think to try that! I'll give that a shot, thank you!

Reply 4 of 4, by danieljm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
stry8993 wrote on 2024-04-14, 03:45:
danieljm wrote on 2024-03-25, 18:53:

Hmm, I didn't think to try that! I'll give that a shot, thank you!

No problem. Good luck.

Also, take the time to closely look over the card for any other sort of water damage. And consider that it might not show up as rust. Deposits left behind when water dries might cause shorts or other issues. I also had a card with some water damage and removing the rust was easy. The sneaky problem I had was that one of the vias through the card had corroded, which meant I needed to solder on a bodge wire to fix the trace.