VOGONS

First post, by exobot

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here's a vaguely interesting thing I recently picked up on a local auction site: The seemingly never before pictured official CD addon daughtercard for the GUS Classic. It's rarity might only be matched by it's uselessness, but I thought it'd at least be worth documenting.

gus_cdrom_sonymitsumi_front.jpg
Filename
gus_cdrom_sonymitsumi_front.jpg
File size
1.74 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
gus_cdrom_sonymitsumi_back.jpg
Filename
gus_cdrom_sonymitsumi_back.jpg
File size
1.73 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

In a different thread about what seems to be third party version of a similar thing
Soundware CD 45 GUS daughterboard attachment- comments / thouights please
cyclone3d provided a link that seems to indicate these could be ordered for $30 directly from Gravis by registered owners:
http://www.gravisultrasound.com/files/UDD/vol … /1994-03-22.TXT

I'm not currently able to test the board, as I don't have a compatible drive on hand, but if anyone wants more information for whatever reason, ask away.

Reply 1 of 5, by dukeofurl

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Cool. Nice to see they kept the red color going for their cards even when it was some kind of extra add on.

I actually had a Gus Max and a mitsumi drive back in the 90s. I think the max had a mitsumi port on it for that model. Currently have a mitsumi drive and separate controller card for it, will be trying to install it in the near future.

Reply 2 of 5, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
exobot wrote on 2024-03-26, 16:14:

It's rarity might only be matched by it's uselessness

A true statement but made me laugh all the same.
Daughtercards always look cool though, I keep the Rainbow Runner daughercard on my Mystique just for the look.

Reply 3 of 5, by exobot

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dukeofurl wrote on 2024-03-27, 21:36:

Cool. Nice to see they kept the red color going for their cards even when it was some kind of extra add on.

I actually had a Gus Max and a mitsumi drive back in the 90s. I think the max had a mitsumi port on it for that model. Currently have a mitsumi drive and separate controller card for it, will be trying to install it in the near future.

Neat, I also had a Mitsumi drive once upon a time, although attached to an SB16. Unfortunately that whole PC mysteriously disappeared from my parents' place, so I suppose I'll have to be on the lookout for a new one to experiment with. At least the prices of CD drives aren't quite as inflated as most other things these days, even if pre-IDE ones don't pop up locally all too often. I'm just a bit worried about finding one that actually works, or can be made to work without major headache.

chinny22 wrote on 2024-03-27, 22:49:

Daughtercards always look cool though, I keep the Rainbow Runner daughercard on my Mystique just for the look.

A fair point there too. I might stick it on my GUS just for fun, assuming I can configure it to not mess with any of my other stuff.