VOGONS

First post, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

In DX7 dxviewer.exe the DirectSound entry doesn't seem to have any entry for what DSBCAPS it supports. What is the way to enumerate all the supported and available DSBCAPS?

In Direct3D you could get many types of caps for fogging, textures, surface caps etc but for DirectSound what I am seeing is only plain DSCAPS.

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 1 of 2, by wbahnassi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Not sure what specifically are you looking for. DSCAPS has quite a bunch of flags and values about the sound device. But they won't be as many as D3D caps of course because there are a lot of individual 3D features compared to sound features (esp. that DSound is just for PCM playback, without any synthesis). Is there a specific sound cap you're missing?

Reply 2 of 2, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
wbahnassi wrote on 2024-03-30, 14:00:

Not sure what specifically are you looking for. DSCAPS has quite a bunch of flags and values about the sound device. But they won't be as many as D3D caps of course because there are a lot of individual 3D features compared to sound features (esp. that DSound is just for PCM playback, without any synthesis). Is there a specific sound cap you're missing?

I was testing a game (Team Alligator by Simis) which FORCED the presence of DSBCAPS_LOCHARDWARE. Ofcourse DS is SW accelerated now so there's no Hardware buffer support anymore. Along with it it asked for support of other caps, I think something related to panning and frequency: I just wanted to see what's available to my computer for a DS buffer

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058