VOGONS

Smoke coming from PAS16

Topic actions

First post, by zuldan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just received my first PAS16. It's in 'like new' condition. Plugged it into the motherboard and powered it on. I heard a pop sound and smoke coming from codec chip (MVA416 - GTAEPA9247). I've check all around the chip and behind on the other side of the board and can't see any shorts or issues. So I suspect the chip has just died. I'm guessing finding a replacement chip will be almost impossible? 🙁

IMG_4873.JPG
Filename
IMG_4873.JPG
File size
528.15 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
IMG_4874.JPG
Filename
IMG_4874.JPG
File size
939.53 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
IMG_4875.JPG
Filename
IMG_4875.JPG
File size
908.16 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 2 of 23, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

https://www.dosdays.co.uk/topics/retro_review_pas16_pt2.php

The MVA416 is the codec chip. As you can see from the first model revision (650-0022-01), it's actually just a rebadged Crystal CS4216-KL codec.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/324735163523

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 3 of 23, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Unknown_K wrote on 2024-04-04, 07:03:

https://www.dosdays.co.uk/topics/retro_review_pas16_pt2.php

The MVA416 is the codec chip. As you can see from the first model revision (650-0022-01), it's actually just a rebadged Crystal CS4216-KL codec.

well that makes replacing it pretty easy ! but something caused it to short so more investigation is needed.

Reply 4 of 23, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would check all the capacitors (especially the tall yellow ones) and resistors around the chip.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 5 of 23, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Unknown_K wrote on 2024-04-04, 07:08:

I would check all the capacitors (especially the tall yellow ones) and resistors around the chip.

The tantrum caps look good but I know from experience that this means nothing with the little caps of death.

Reply 6 of 23, by zuldan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Unknown_K wrote on 2024-04-04, 07:03:

Wow thank you so much. I didn't think it would be that easy!

Reply 7 of 23, by zuldan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Trashbytes wrote on 2024-04-04, 07:05:

well that makes replacing it pretty easy ! but something caused it to short so more investigation is needed.

100%, microscope time

Reply 8 of 23, by zuldan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yep I'll do that. Going use a ESR meter to check the caps while in circuit. Need to find what value these caps and resistors should be.

Reply 9 of 23, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
zuldan wrote on 2024-04-04, 07:15:

Yep I'll do that. Going use a ESR meter to check the caps while in circuit. Need to find what value these caps and resistors should be.

Tantrum caps are nasty beasts and may check out fine but fail when voltage is applied, so really just check them to see if any are shorted not sure you will get any useful readings from testing them like electrolytic caps. (They also dont like reversed voltage in the slightest...something to be mindful of)

Something else I remembered is that solid Tantalums have a very low ESR so any that dont should be suspect.

Reply 10 of 23, by zuldan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Trashbytes wrote on 2024-04-04, 07:21:

Something else I remembered is that solid Tantalums have a very low ESR so any that dont should be suspect.

I measured the tantalum near the chip and it has a high ESR. So now I need to figure out what that tantalum is rated for. Will get out the microscope tomorrow and see if I can read any sort of value on it.

Reply 11 of 23, by zuldan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Bingo! Found the problem, as you guys said it was the bloody tantalum capacitor closest to the chip. It is shorted! I'm kicking myself now for not checking all the tantalum's before powering on the card.

Here is the value...

Tant.png
Filename
Tant.png
File size
402.14 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Looks like Jaycar sells them https://www.jaycar.com.au/10uf-16vdc-tantalum … acitor/p/RZ6648

Reply 12 of 23, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's great you already found it 😀 I wish you luck with getting the card working again.
Personally I don't think you should blame yourself too much for this really, you're not the first person this has happened to: Re: Media vision Pro audio spectrum 16 compatibility List
This wiki page doesn't mention them failing either: https://caps.wiki/wiki/Media_Vision_Pro_AudioSpectrum - Some people would say that tantalums are better since they can't expire from over-use like electrolytics can.

It's kind of surprising to me that a 1992-ish device has failing tantalums though, I thought that was earlier stuff only but I've seen those go pop on a 486 board so I guess it just happens to that type of tantalum unfortunately.
Probably better / safer to replace them with electrolytic caps rather than like-for-like, kind of a shame since the tantalums are part of the look of the card.

Reply 13 of 23, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

+1

Tantal(ums) condensers are usually being very high quality and long-lived, under the assumption that a given circuit is running over long time.

When in long storage, though, tantalums can "forget" their polarity and have a hard time when being exposed to power again.
In that moment, the caps have to go through some sort of reformatting process.

In which they can explode or short, at worst. That's because gases and other chemical things build up too fast inside.

To prevent this, in theory, old tantals would have to be charged slowly after long sleep.
By increasing the supplied voltage slowly over longer time.
That way, they would finally recover, maybe.

Speaking under correction here, though. That's merely what I've been told.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 14 of 23, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm pretty sure this applies to electrolythic capacitors in which the oxide layer dissolves into the electrlyte over time when they are not in use. Upon applying power it'll reform again although if it is far to gone it can cause some unpleasant effects, depending on size of the capacitor and how much headroom the system in question has for loss of capacitances. (i.e in a switching PSU this can mean than very high voltage pulses go through into rest of the circuit, potentially killing it).

Old tantalums going poof is a result of water ingression into the package from what I have understood. It is a problem with only certain types of such capacitors, and certainly not a feature of all of them.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 16 of 23, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
zuldan wrote on 2024-04-05, 09:05:

The Crystal chip has been ordered. Should I be replacing all the 10uF 16V Tantalum Capacitors on the board? There are 16 of them. Only 1 has a short.

If they check out ok and didn't pop the first time it powered up I wouldn't change them, but others here may have more experience with tantrum caps.

Reply 17 of 23, by midicollector

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I’ve heard some dying electrolytic capacitors can be brought back to life kinda after being exposed to voltage for long enough, not sure how accurate that is. I always assumed tantalum’s would outlive electrolytic, I knew their failure state wasn’t great but didn’t imagine one could fail so quickly and badly like this. Maybe they’re not so much better than electrolytics after all…

Reply 18 of 23, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
midicollector wrote on 2024-04-06, 02:22:

I’ve heard some dying electrolytic capacitors can be brought back to life kinda after being exposed to voltage for long enough, not sure how accurate that is. I always assumed tantalum’s would outlive electrolytic, I knew their failure state wasn’t great but didn’t imagine one could fail so quickly and badly like this. Maybe they’re not so much better than electrolytics after all…

They both have different failure modes, Tantalums degrade when sitting unused for many years and lose their polarity when being re energised they can go one of two ways. Either they fire up and remember their polarity or they dont and die in a rather impressive bang. Tantrums being ceramic can also absorb moisture from the air around them when sitting unused, this also causes explosive failures. Electrolytic s tend to dry out and can take several power cycles to regenerate or they have already failed and leaked/burst whiuile sitting unused, they dont tend to explode but I guess its possible via over pressure due to an internal short/failure.

Reply 19 of 23, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have been trying to find info about this loss of polarity in tantalum over time and my search yields nothing, I'm most curious about it...
But what I did find is that there are filaments growing inside tantalums which can result in catastrophic failures, although in many cases they break down without damage according to a NASA study about failure modes in some types of tantalum capacitors.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜