Sound cards - from best to worst

Discussion about old sound cards, MIDI devices and sound related accessories.

Re: Sound cards - from best to worst

Postby deksar » 2017-4-10 @ 10:33

gerwin wrote:I made an ISA Soundcard Overview that might be suitable to add to this stickified topic. It is pretty big and technical. Also it is not yet complete.
Data obtained from many datasheets, internet articles and pictures as well as some actual soundcards. Suggestions and Corrections are welcome.

Really great list! Amazing effort. Any updated one? Thanks!
deksar
Newbie
 
Posts: 29
Joined: 2015-4-22 @ 05:43

Re: Sound cards - from best to worst

Postby Pabloz » 2017-12-22 @ 04:53

i tried a couple of soundblaster ISA cards and i must say that

1. If the game setup supports awe32 , i can play with an awe64 gold and the sound kicks ass. (TESTED DOOM2 V1.666, SOUNDS AWESOME)

2. With an awe32 i have lots of hanging note bug that ruin the experience. (tested an awe32 with doom1)

3. If the game is older, and does not have awe32 support....then a SB16 sounds better than the awe64 gold. Happened to me on games like commander keen when i had the feeling that with an SB16 card the sound was much much better than with an awe64 gold. And also happened to me on DOOM1 v1.1 which that version does not include awe32 support, i had way better sound with a SB16 card than the awe64 gold
Pabloz
Member
 
Posts: 266
Joined: 2017-4-22 @ 22:36

Re: Sound cards - from best to worst

Postby oerk » 2017-12-22 @ 07:35

Pabloz wrote:1. If the game setup supports awe32 , i can play with an awe64 gold and the sound kicks ass. (TESTED DOOM2 V1.666, SOUNDS AWESOME)


That's because the soundfont (sample ROM) for the Emu chip is identical for AWE32 and 64.

Pabloz wrote:2. With an awe32 i have lots of hanging note bug that ruin the experience. (tested an awe32 with doom1)


With the Emu chip, or with a wavetable card or external MIDI device? The latter is pretty much expected - and also depends on the DSP version. Some are better, some worse.

Pabloz wrote:3. If the game is older, and does not have awe32 support....then a SB16 sounds better than the awe64 gold. Happened to me on games like commander keen when i had the feeling that with an SB16 card the sound was much much better than with an awe64 gold. And also happened to me on DOOM1 v1.1 which that version does not include awe32 support, i had way better sound with a SB16 card than the awe64 gold


That's because the AWE64 doesn't have a genuine Yamaha OPL3, but Creative's emulation called CQM instead. There are also lots and lots of different versions of the SB16 with either OPL3 or CQM. The same is true for the AWE64.
oerk
Oldbie
 
Posts: 631
Joined: 2014-8-20 @ 09:59

Re: Sound cards - from best to worst

Postby Anterag » 2019-3-14 @ 13:41

I remember the good times using FastTracker II on my old PC. I had the Gravis Ultrasound so I would say it is.
Anterag
Newbie
 
Posts: 8
Joined: 2018-10-10 @ 19:51

Re: Sound cards - from best to worst

Postby easy_john » 2019-4-12 @ 17:32

Here are photos of card and box of Orchid SoundDrive 16(EZ), that can be added to list with more details
SoundDrive 16 - 16Bit ISA, ESS ES688, WBH, game/MIDI port, Mitsumi + optional SCSI2
Pentium2 450/256mb/4gb/ati rage 128+voodoo2/SB awe32 8mb+db50xg/GUS PnP 8mb/TB Tropez 2mb
486 DX2-66/32mb/8gb/tseng4000 2mb/SB 16+WB/GUS 1mb/LAPC-I
286 12mhz/4mb/512mb/Vga 1mb/SB 2.0+Covox
PegasosII G4 / Amiga 4000 / Amiga1200 / Amiga 600
User avatar
easy_john
Member
 
Posts: 457
Joined: 2013-11-23 @ 20:03
Location: Russia

Previous

Return to Sound

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests