VOGONS

First post, by winuser3162

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ive been curiously thinking to myself about this for awhile now, did techno, house and electronic music producers of the 1990s and early 2000s need powerful soundcards to render and play the music that they were making? if anyone here was a producer, DJ or musician in electronic music back then id love to hear your input!

1:intel Core 2 Extreme QX 6700, 2X GeForce 8800GTX SLI, SB Audigy 2ZS, XFX 780i SLI, 4GB Corsair XMS DDR2, Custom Waterloop
2:intel Pentium MMX , ATI Rage 3D, SoundBlaster16, Diamond Monstor 3D, 60MB Ram, Asus P/1-P55T2P4, Dual Booted Windows 95 pLuS!

Reply 1 of 4, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The segment of the house/dance/club scene I casually intersected with in the early 90s seems to have been big into Atari STs

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 2 of 4, by orcish75

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yup, the ST was the DAW of the 80s/90s. The onboard Yamaha soundchip was rubbish, but it had built in midi ports that could be connected to various synths, drum machines etc. The Roland JV-1080 and Korg M1 were used by many EDM outfits of the 90s. A lot of the sounds on Insomnia by Faithless was done on the JV-1080. Jean-Michel Jarre used the ST extensively as well.

Visage Fade to Grey using an ST and a Clavia Nord

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRRJJ9UkThU

Reply 3 of 4, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Friend of mine was a keyboard player in a symphonic black metal group in the late 1990s (not exactly techno, but it's still music 😉 ) and he wrestled and got hopelessly frustrated with a Terratec EWS64XL which theoretically should have been able to fulfil all his MIDI and sampling needs but in practice never quite was. I think he just fell back to default sounds from his keyboard eventually...

Reply 4 of 4, by midicollector

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The jv1080 was the most used synth of the period, and everyone used it. Amigas were common, so were Macs. But pcs were too. At the high end it’s possible some pros were using next machines. It was really all over the place computer wise. If you go watch videos or see pictures of many game composers, they tend to be using pcs, Macs or amigas, hard to tell what was overall most popular.