VOGONS

First post, by dr.wily

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello there old sound card MIDI fans !

Long story short.

I've been composing music for a long time using a variety of sound cards with their own specific features. I mix various synthesizers together to obtain a mix between synthetic and real sounds.

For this, I use a MIDI cable that I got with the MIDI Blaster expander. Over the years (30 !) this cable has worn out. I didn't have another one so I ordered one on ebay but it turned out not to work.

In fact, MIDI cables with a game port require electronics to convert midi signals to the MPU-401 interface. The cable I'd bought on ebay didn't have this electronics (beware this type of cable is scam), so it didn't work with my sound cards (SB16, Pro audio Spectrum, SB Live, Audigy).

So I decided to base myself on this diagram to make my own adapter. I had the PCBs made and I now have a stock of 18 adapters for sale.

This adapter provide a 5-pin DIN MIDI IN to send signal to sound card and MIDI OUT port is used to transmit MIDI commands to an instrument or other device.

Adapter is designed to ensure 100% compatibility between the sound card and any MIDI device that may be connected to it. It is self-powered by the sound card. Tested with Audigy, SB Live!, various SB16, Pro Audio Spectrum (Jazz Wave ) and Aztech Lab.

To connect it to the joystick port you'll need a ribbon cable with a female IDC 16 pin to DB15 male connector, which you can easily find on the Web. For the MIDI ports, you will need at least 1 DIN 5-pin male-male cable, depending on your use.

midi-joy-03.jpg
Filename
midi-joy-03.jpg
File size
286.25 KiB
Views
File comment
Front MIDI adapter
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
midi-joy-02.jpg
Filename
midi-joy-02.jpg
File size
372.88 KiB
Views
File comment
Components side
File license
midi-joy-01.jpg
Filename
midi-joy-01.jpg
File size
254.69 KiB
Views
File comment
Solder side
File license

Price $22 and $ 10 for international delivery (multiple orders same shipping price). Payment through paypal, contact me by PM.