VOGONS

Drivers/Questions about ESS488

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 27, by Anonymoose

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Welp, I took off the jumpers and reseated them a few times and… it works! Kicking myself though, should’ve done that first 😖

Sbdetect and hwinfo are helpful programs to have around, but they both give me A240 as the I/O port, different from what people here have been telling me. Any reason for this? Or just something to not worry about

Attachments

Reply 21 of 27, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Anonymoose wrote on 2024-04-25, 18:44:

Sbdetect and hwinfo are helpful programs to have around, but they both give me A240 as the I/O port, different from what people here have been telling me. Any reason for this? Or just something to not worry about

This means that you should shuffle the JP1 jumpers until they give you A220. A220 is the most common setting, and everything else can cause issues with software not prepared for it. FM music playback works using the fixed the AdLib compatiblity port at 388, so software doesn't care whether the SB is at 220 or 240, but digital sound playback communicates with ports in the 22x or 24x range.

Reply 22 of 27, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, the default address for ISA Sound Blasters is 220h.
I only accept different address when it's the second sound card.

Also, as expected: DSP 2.01 = Sound Blaster 2.0 = T3 = up to 44 kHz PCM playback.

Nie tylko, jak widzicie, w tym trudność, że nie zdołacie wejść na moją górę, lecz i w tym, że ja do was cały zejść nie mogę, gdyż schodząc, gubię po drodze to, co miałem donieść.

Reply 24 of 27, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Anonymoose wrote on 2024-04-26, 23:39:

As for the cdrom port, could I just add an IDE cd-rom drive to it? Or would I have to stick it into the parallel port?

No, that CD-ROM connector doesn't look like IDE.

You can connect an IDE CD-ROM on the same cable as the HDD, just set the HDD to MASTER, and the CD-ROM to SLAVE.

Nie tylko, jak widzicie, w tym trudność, że nie zdołacie wejść na moją górę, lecz i w tym, że ja do was cały zejść nie mogę, gdyż schodząc, gubię po drodze to, co miałem donieść.

Reply 25 of 27, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Anonymoose wrote on 2024-04-26, 23:39:

Good to know! As for the cdrom port, could I just add an IDE cd-rom drive to it? Or would I have to stick it into the parallel port?

No chance to get IDE drives running with that card. IDE drives use 16 data bits, and the card is an 8-bit card. As the CD-ROM port has 40 pins (like IDE), it might be compatible with either the Panasonic or the Mitsumi CD drive interface. Both of these interfaces are legacy interfaces that have been superseeded by IDE, and mostly found on single speed and double speed CD drives. There are a lot of Panasonic and Mitsumi IDE CD drives, they do not match to your card.

I found a post on VCFED, in which someone reports getting a Mitsumi-style external CD-ROM with a DB25 connection on it. It is likely, but not certain that this is the kind of drive that would work with your sound card.

Reply 26 of 27, by Anonymoose

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Unfortunately, the only cd drive I have to test is an internal LG one from 2000. Interesting though that they look the same.

Attachments

Reply 27 of 27, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Anonymoose wrote on 2024-04-27, 15:49:

Unfortunately, the only cd drive I have to test is an internal LG one from 2000. Interesting though that they look the same.

A drive from 2000 with a 40-pin connector surely has an IDE interface as you already correctly identified. The connectors of drives using the old Mitsumi and Matsushita/Panasonic interfaces look identical to IDE connectors. There are a lot of sound cards (around 2 to 3 years newer than your one) with 3 different 40-pin connectors for the three 40-pin CD interface styles and a 34-pin header for Sony-style CD drives. As IDE was late to the party (but then crashed it), early "multi-CD" sound cards just hat two 40-pin connectors and one 34-pin connector.