VOGONS

First post, by lukas12p

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I have bought 2theMAX Voodoo Rush 6+2 MB card and have some issues. It comes with MX 2D chipset.
1. I'm not sure if it detects all 8 MB memory, since in 3Dmark99 it says 2MB texture memory (should be 4 MB) and there is no difference in performance when I remove 2 MB.
2. Card is too slow compared to other Voodoo Rush I have (with AT25 2D chipset and 6 MB) and what I noticed in 3Dmark99 it has very slow memory
I have tried 3 different drivers without real difference.
On attached screen this card was tested on much faster SS7 platform. On Pentium 200MMX game1 was 7,5 fps and game2 was 2,5 fps (!).
Theoretical speed in tests is the same.
Any suggestions?

EDIT
I have checked the card in 6 MB config on SS7 platform.
There is no difference in 3Dmark99, but there is some in Quake 1 (19,2 vs 19,7 fps) and Quake2 (15,0 vs 15,9 fps)

3Dmark99 video capture https://youtu.be/IwQ60NdbLv0

Attachments

Reply 1 of 8, by NostalgicAslinger

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Do you have performance report/comparison for your other Rush card with an Alliance AT25 2D Chip?

I also have the 2theMAX Voodoo Rush with 8MB, very, very bad 2D image quality, and never got it to work in 3D mode (tested with all available Rush MX based drivers), so maybe my card is broken...but it's beautiful enough for the showcase.
Tested on 2 different systems, an i430TX based Socket 7 mainboard and VIA MVP3 based. The system freezes, if I want to to start a game with D3D or 3dfx Glide.

My other Rush card with an Alliance AT25 and 6MB runs fine with a very good 2D image quality.

Attachments

• _20180928_203758.JPG
    Filename
    _20180928_203758.JPG
    File size
    1.46 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2 of 8, by lukas12p

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I confirm, MX 2D chipset has very bad image quality.
I have tested my AT25 Voodoo Rush on the same system - 3Dmark99 results on screen.
I wasn't able to run Quakes (open gl) and didn't have time to search for better drivers.

BTW. I have another MX based Voodoo Rush that "doesn't work" in any 3D app, but in real it just doesn't switch screen output, so I can run 3Dmark99 and see results at the end, but without seeing running benchmarks.

Attachments

Reply 4 of 8, by NostalgicAslinger

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
lukas12p wrote on 2021-09-20, 21:14:

I wasn't able to run Quakes (open gl) and didn't have time to search for better drivers.

You need the 3dfx MiniGL driver for OpenGL, here is an archive: http://falconfly.3dfx.pl/minigl.htm
I have used the MiniGL Version 1.49 for my Rush.

Here is an older video from me with testing some games on the Voodoo Rush (AMD K5 PR166@200 CPU): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BClYLu45D8

A slow Pentium (until 100 MHZ) or AMD K5 is a good partner for a Voodoo Rush.

Reply 5 of 8, by lukas12p

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
NostalgicAslinger wrote on 2021-09-21, 11:46:

You need the 3dfx MiniGL driver for OpenGL, here is an archive: http://falconfly.3dfx.pl/minigl.htm
I have used the MiniGL Version 1.49 for my Rush.

Thanks for tip, but I have MiniGL driver since MX VoodooRush works with Quakes as You can see in first post. It is the same computer that I have tested AT25 Voodoo Rush for comparition.

Reply 7 of 8, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jasin Natael wrote on 2021-09-20, 21:53:

I find the Rush cards fascinating for some reason.....

I bought one new from CompUSA back in the day. I had it for like 2 days before I took it back and got a Banshee instead because the Rush was too slow for games that were out back then. And the Banshee is not even that good of a card but I wanted an all-in-one card so that is what I got.

I see the crazy prices for both Rush and Banshee cards and can't help but wonder why.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 8 of 8, by Jasin Natael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-09-21, 15:17:
Jasin Natael wrote on 2021-09-20, 21:53:

I find the Rush cards fascinating for some reason.....

I bought one new from CompUSA back in the day. I had it for like 2 days before I took it back and got a Banshee instead because the Rush was too slow for games that were out back then. And the Banshee is not even that good of a card but I wanted an all-in-one card so that is what I got.

I see the crazy prices for both Rush and Banshee cards and can't help but wonder why.

Yeah the Rush cards were a pretty terrible option when new, and not even as compatible as a Voodoo 1 from what I've read.
Banshee cards are much better, of course they were much newer. I just find them pretty nifty maybe because I've never messed around with one.