VOGONS

Reply 20 of 46, by Jasin Natael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ydee wrote on 2021-09-22, 13:17:
HangarAte2nds! wrote on 2021-09-22, 04:51:

Interesting. I just got an SIS 6236 16MB AGP which is based on the S3 Virge.

Can you take a photo of the card, please? Meanwhile, I live under the assumption that S3 Virge and SiS 6326 are two different graphics chips from two different independent manufacturers,

They are.

Reply 22 of 46, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Pierre32 wrote on 2021-09-07, 07:09:

Yeah it's not all socket 7 systems. It wouldn't post in one of mine, but did work in a SS7 system.

Who makes the BIOS for your Socket 7 board? The motherboards I have problems with video card compatibility are all Award.

Reply 23 of 46, by Hoping

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have one of these on a MSI-5148 and works great, it's the cheapest option for a PCI only system,forgetting about GLide, it may be faster than a Voodoo1. I've tried to mod it's BIOS but never got anywhere. My card has a micron technology dram chip rated for 166mhz, I understand that the gpu and memory clocks are linked. But I couldn't overclock it a lot.

Reply 25 of 46, by Hoping

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Rage XL https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/rage-xl-pci.c3167
Millennium G200 https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/millennium-g200.c3729
I think that the Millennium G200 looks better but no by a big margin, it would depend on the drivers side I think.

Reply 28 of 46, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kahenraz wrote on 2021-09-22, 19:50:
Pierre32 wrote on 2021-09-07, 07:09:

Yeah it's not all socket 7 systems. It wouldn't post in one of mine, but did work in a SS7 system.

Who makes the BIOS for your Socket 7 board? The motherboards I have problems with video card compatibility are all Award.

Socket 7 where it didn't work: Award.

Super Socket 7 where it did work: I believe that was Award too. That machine (a low profile Aptiva 2196) has been rehomed now and I can't find any good mobo pics! But the manual does reference AWDFLASH.EXE.

Reply 29 of 46, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Since it's a Super Socket 7 then it won't be an Intel chipset. The problem so far appears to be consistent with Award BIOS on Intel chipsets.

I would love to hear of a counterexample of these Rage XL cards working on an Award BIOS with Intel chipset and which one exactly.

Reply 30 of 46, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kahenraz wrote on 2021-09-22, 21:14:

Is the Matrox G200 different from the Matrox "Mystique" G200 or are they the same product?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matrox_G200#Models

The Mystique appears to be slower than the equivalent Millennium card, but has TV out.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 31 of 46, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I did some research on this in the past and wasn't able to confirm whether it came down to a difference in clock speed or whether the actual GPU was different.

What I'd like to know is whether there are graphical or driver compatibility differences that would recommend choosing one over another. I found a lot of references of people being unhappy with their "Mystique" but I don't know if these issues exist on the Millennium product as well.

Reply 34 of 46, by Hoping

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kahenraz wrote on 2021-09-22, 22:02:

Since it's a Super Socket 7 then it won't be an Intel chipset. The problem so far appears to be consistent with Award BIOS on Intel chipsets.

I would love to hear of a counterexample of these Rage XL cards working on an Award BIOS with Intel chipset and which one exactly.

The MSI board I have has an Award bios and is an intel 430TX chipset, I think it may be more related to the moerboards beeing ATX, I tried it on a 430VX also with and award bios, AT board , and it did not work. Theres already a discusion in the forum theorithing about this cards being 3V only and moust AT boards does not have the 3V present on the PCI slots. Maybe an SS7 AT board would be a good try but I do not have one. I thought about asking here if somebody can modify this cards to work with the 5v line, but never did it.

Reply 35 of 46, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Hoping wrote on 2021-09-23, 06:45:
Kahenraz wrote on 2021-09-22, 22:02:

The MSI board I have has an Award bios and is an intel 430TX chipset, I think it may be more related to the moerboards beeing ATX, I tried it on a 430VX also with and award bios, AT board , and it did not work. Theres already a discusion in the forum theorithing about this cards being 3V only and moust AT boards does not have the 3V present on the PCI slots. Maybe an SS7 AT board would be a good try but I do not have one. I thought about asking here if somebody can modify this cards to work with the 5v line, but never did it.

This would make sense... my Aptiva had an SFX supply which is ultimately ATX.

Reply 36 of 46, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Hoping wrote on 2021-09-23, 06:45:

The MSI board I have has an Award bios and is an intel 430TX chipset, I think it may be more related to the moerboards beeing ATX

Can you clarify if its working or not on your 430TX with Award BIOS?

These cards work fine on my 430TX but it has an Intel BIOS and is also ATX not AT.

Reply 37 of 46, by Hoping

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Hoping wrote on 2021-09-22, 20:06:

I have one of these on a MSI-5148 and works great, it's the cheapest option for a PCI only system,forgetting about GLide, it may be faster than a Voodoo1. I've tried to mod it's BIOS but never got anywhere. My card has a micron technology dram chip rated for 166mhz, I understand that the gpu and memory clocks are linked. But I couldn't overclock it a lot.

It worsk on my MSI-5148 v1.1 ATX 430TX 64mb Socket 7, PMMX 166@262 (3.5x75). Award BIOS.

Reply 39 of 46, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This is about the GPU model in general, not about these specific crop of cards, but back in the day, I had one running on an Abit SM5-A which is 430VX (Also Triton II) with the Award Soft Menu BIOS ... meaning Rage XL architecture as orignally implemented by ATI on PCI didn't seem to have a particular problem on that config.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.