VOGONS

First post, by spambacon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys,

i am building some small lan builds with several shuttle pcs. Most of them are finished and working great, the newest is an Athlon 64 X2, several Athlons and Athlon 64s are also finished.
However, my oldest and most important system is giving me headaches.

Apart from the dreadful onboard sound, the system is equipped with a single pci slot. Unfortunately there is no agp in the system so i have to use the pci slot for a gpu.

It is an 1 GHZ Pentium 3 with 256 MB Ram and a 40Gig HDD.

I was thinking about putting in a Voodoo 3 PCI until i saw the prices. Now i am looking for a decent, period appropriate, alternative.

I have a V3 but it is the AGP version and all my other pci cards more or less sucks (ATI Mach etc.).

I was thinking about TNT2 Ultra, but i only find AGP Versions.

Does anyone has an idea which other cards with decent performance could be used? Ideally it should be from 99 or 2000, maybe 2001 but that would be the absolute maximum.

Reply 2 of 5, by ptr1ck

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Geforce4 MX would be a decent choice. Ought to be more powerful than a Voodoo 3 if you get the right model. It's newer than 2001 though... I'm not sure why you want to limit yourself to 2001 if you want the power to best a Voodoo 3 with PCI. Most likely have more choices with newer cards.

"ITXBOX" SFF-Win11
KT133A-NV28-V2 SLI-DOS/WinME

Reply 3 of 5, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

X1300 should do the trick. Not from the right year though, but maybe you could change the heatsink? I think you would appriceate the performance of it. There is also a x1550.

Babasha wrote on 2022-07-09, 18:10:

ATI Radeon (VE) PCI? Or ATI Radeon 7000/7200 PCI?

If you are considering those, go for a 7500. It’s basically the same thing but twice as fast. It’s my go to for socket 7 builds.

AGP to PCI adapters - any PCB designers here willing to make one?

Btw your voodoo 3 could work with this

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 4 of 5, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I know TNT2 was made in PCI using the M64 variants (64 bit memory bus instead of the 128 bit of the proper TNT2 and TNT2 Ultras), but its performance may not be to your liking.
Same could be said regarding the slower GF2 MX and perhaps slower GF4 MX cards, but the faster ones may be what you're looking for.

GF2 MX and GF4 MX cards are tricky to correctly identify though, they seemed to have tried their best to make it as confusing as possible to tell the better performing ones and the slower ones apart.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 5 of 5, by spambacon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Regarding the question of limiting the GPU to 2001 max:

I wanted to keep the build period appropriate, to fuel my nostalgia.

As i have written, i have far more powerful builds in the same chassis available, an athlon with a geforce 3 ti for example.

At Home i am using a Tualatin 1,4 GHZ with an awesome Geforce 2 Ti from Hercules, runs like a charm.

It is a damn shame, that the Shuttle FV24 only supports PCI, as i have plenty „right“ agp gpus lying around. Heck i would even consider putting in a Kyro if it wasn’t on the agp bus.

I doubt that an agp to pci Adapter would fit, as the chassis is using a small pci riser card in a limited amount of space.

The Radeon DDR looks promising, never had an ati until the later 9000 series was released. Seems to be a competitor to the geforce 256?