VOGONS

First post, by ali9999

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My Quadro 750XGL does not display anything on the vga or dvi output.
It is in a dell P4 3.0ghz, intel 875 chipset system.
I tested it in another dell with an intel 845 chipset and it powered on fine.

I tested the 875 chipset system with the following cards and they all worked fine.
geforce 4 MX 440, geforce 3 ti 200, geforce FX 5200, radeon 9800 pro, 9600 xt.

I powered the system with a pci video card and saw that the quadro card is being recognized by the system device list.

Any idea what could cause the 875 chipset with the Geforce 4 Ti4400 not to show a display?

Update
I tried the card in an old p3 bx board and a p3 815e board and it worked fine in both

I even switched out the 3ghz p4 for a 2ghz but still no display

Last thing I will try is to change some of the old capacitors on the 875 board. Some of them are bulging a bit but I am surprised no other card had any issue with it.

Last edited by ali9999 on 2022-09-22, 01:40. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 4, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The GeForce4 comes in two variants, NV25 and NV28. NV25 has a larger die and more power requirements. The NV28 has a smaller die and consumes less power.

NV25 has no external power connector and derives its power purely from the AGP slot. Many motherboards are unable to deliver the necessary amount of power. The KT7A is one example. It will boot with this card, but it is unstable with it. The NV28 however works fine.

I don't think the NV28 is on par speed-wise with the NV25, but this needs qualitative testing to determine for certain.

mslrlv.png
(Decommissioned:)
7ivtic.png

Reply 2 of 4, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ali9999 wrote:

Any idea what could cause the 875 chipset with the Geforce 4 Ti4400 not to show a display?

Might be problem with capacitors or just incompatibility with specific motherboard.

mockingbird wrote:

NV25 has a larger die and more power requirements. The NV28 has a smaller die and consumes less power.

No evidence.

I don't think the NV28 is on par speed-wise with the NV25

Literally the same chip with added 8x AGP support.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 3 of 4, by ali9999

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It’s just very odd that the older dell 845 chipset can boot the card fine, I’ll try putting a slower 2ghz cpu into the 875 system.

If the power draw is too high or motherboard capacitors need to be replaced that should help out

Reply 4 of 4, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2022-09-22, 00:41:

No evidence.
Literally the same chip with added 8x AGP support.

I stand corrected sir... Wikipedia has the transistor count transposed on the 8x variant to read "36" instead of 63.

I did however experience instability with an NV25 where an NV28 was stable on the same motherboard... I'll have to do more testing though before I blame the motherboard. The card is entirely poly-modded (all electrlytics replaced with polymer equivalents).

mslrlv.png
(Decommissioned:)
7ivtic.png