VOGONS

First post, by dreamscape86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all

Got a CRT in the mail today which was packed REALLY well... but still it got damaged. The front flat for the settings wont close and there is a crack on the top right of the CRT. Cosmetics i can deal with but sadly I think it's got another problem.

20221003-131056.jpg

It wont allow me to close the horizontal width enough to fit the screen and if i go the other way to 100 it goes like a widescreen and then shuts itself off which i presume is because the setting is out of range and i get a flashing green and orange light.

20221003-131116.jpg

There is no degaus that i can see but there is a reset button which gets me back to using the CRT again as it takes it out of range but it still doesn't fix my horizontal positoning problem. Is this CRT doomed? I'd really like to save it as these are rare over here and it matches my Gateway 2000 system.

Last edited by Snover on 2022-10-05, 05:50. Edited 3 times in total.

Shuttle XPC | Pentium 4 2.8Ghz | 512MB DDR 400Mhz | Nvidia Geforce FX 5600 Ultra | 32GB Sandisk Extreme Pro CF Card | Silverstone FX350-G 350W 80 Plus Gold PSU | Windows 98 SE

Reply 1 of 5, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That seems like there is a cracked solder somewhere inside where the line deflection part is, most probably at a physically large component since those will be most affected when some physical shock is experienced, especially one that is bad enough to crack the shell itself...

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 2 of 5, by dreamscape86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Damn, that would make sense i guess... Such a shame as it's a Sony Trinitron tube inside as well.

I did try to correct it with the graphics card but it doesn't have the ability to shrink the image only move it around.

20221003-142306.jpg

I then took a look around the back **** DO NOT TRY THIS *****

20221003-162336.jpg

Only thing i noticed was the neck board was a little slanted but thats just weight over time i think. I didn't see any obvious adjustment pots aside from the brightness pot. I could dig the chassis out and look at the solder joints but with no discharge tool handy i don't really want to go down that route. The seller luckily has another one and is going to try and send me that without it getting broken.

Fingers crossed, i guess... and off to the junk yard for this poor CRT. Such a shame. Unless of course anyone knows of any software which can adjust the image on screen?? Seems really crappy to throw a nice screen out as it does look great when it works.

Last edited by Snover on 2022-10-05, 05:49. Edited 3 times in total.

Shuttle XPC | Pentium 4 2.8Ghz | 512MB DDR 400Mhz | Nvidia Geforce FX 5600 Ultra | 32GB Sandisk Extreme Pro CF Card | Silverstone FX350-G 350W 80 Plus Gold PSU | Windows 98 SE

Reply 3 of 5, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You can unplug it while it is powered and that takes care of most of the charges in the capacitors and for extra safety you can wait a few hours or perhaps a day and then it is sure there won't be any dangerour charges left anywhere.

This problem is going to be on the mainboard and in the area around flyback. It is most probable some big film capacitor has one leg loose from the PCB.

Reply 4 of 5, by dreamscape86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah it likely will be, which frustratingly i could fix in seconds here but i don't have anything to remove the cable which goes to the tube from the flyback. It's not worth risking it if i can't discharge it properly. I've messed with CRT's on arcade machines before and they are pretty unforgiving if you get something wrong haha!

Last edited by Snover on 2022-10-05, 05:49. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 5 of 5, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The anode cable is the smallest concern, there is always a bleeder in monitors and any charge is gone moments after power off. And even if there was anything left, it just bites, anode voltages are not very high on small monitor tubes.
The only actually dangerous parts are the capacitors on power supply primary side (325V) and the main supply on secondary side (B+, 70...100V in monitors).
(arcade monitors count as TVs, with higher voltages and much less if any protections etc.)