VOGONS

First post, by wbahnassi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a conundrum I need guidance with.

I have 3 PCs: two of them are dedicated DOS machines (486 66 and a P233MMX). The third PC is an HP Z400 Workstation that I'm using for productivity (Win11/NVME/RTX2060) as well as pure DOS in the same box (Win95/DOS6.22/Voodoo3/YMF 744 with true OPL3).

Obviously the 486 and P233MMX have only VGA outputs. The HP Z400 has the Voodoo3 VGA (for DOS) and the RTX2060 dual DisplayPorts (for Windows 11).

I'm currently using a dual-screen LCD setup, where one of the LCDs has a VGA input, which is working great for DOS and supports all display modes without issues and knows how to preserve the 4:3 aspect ratio (using black bars on the sides).

I'm thinking of replacing the two monitors with one ultra-wide 4K (not curved). But I don't want to sacrifice connectivity to the DOS machines. Certainly none of those ultra-wide monitors will have a VGA input, and not even DVI I guess.

What are my options here? I also have OSSC which takes VGA input but rather not use it. Anyone uses UltraWide monitors for real (non-DOSBOX) DOS?
What are your experiences? What model do you recommend?

Cheers!

Reply 1 of 1, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Most of the “odd ratio” monitors including ultra wide don’t support “docking “ of different video inputs.
If they did support it on their own without special software you could end up with interesting tv/Pc/game system auto configs.

There is one “phone factor “ vertical TV that has some docking capabilities but it requires special software.

Ah well, given picture in a picture was a thing in the 80’s I’m guessing this type of stuff will come back, otherwise how will you mass produce and market all the wierd new screen shapes in a 16:9 market?