VOGONS

First post, by complain77

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there! i managed to get to increasingly rare Radeon 9800PRO card. After testing, to my disappointment, card doesnt properly display 3D (it shows randomly triangles in 3D Scenes where they shouldnt be) . What is interesting, 2D pixture in Windows 98 is crystal clear thus. When i removed cooler, there are 3 bulged capacitors on the end of card pcb (see pictures). I will have them replaced. Question is, may it help? Because from what i remember, there should be problem with VRAM too, when card shows mismatched triangles in 3D. Downclocking card by Rivatuner just dont help at all. please only qualified answers, i can do quesis too😉😄

Attachments

Reply 1 of 2, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Bad caps absolutely will have effect on the problems you are having, you should not run the card in such state as the excess ripple has killed things before and can do so again. You should replace all of the capacitors not just ones that have already failed, the others most likely will fail too and their current likely weakened state will contribute to any possible instabilities. (most caps are good quality things though and maybe will last a while longer but when you get to replacements, might aswell go all the way with modern stuff)

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 2 of 2, by complain77

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there, card was always on very briefly, just to test it. Capacitors are changed, and i will test it next mondey. very interested if it will help....

quote=Tiido post_id=1113775 time=1667455412 user_id=37281]
Bad caps absolutely will have effect on the problems you are having, you should not run the card in such state as the excess ripple has killed things before and can do so again. You should replace all of the capacitors not just ones that have already failed, the others most likely will fail too and their current likely weakened state will contribute to any possible instabilities. (most caps are good quality things though and maybe will last a while longer but when you get to replacements, might aswell go all the way with modern stuff)
[/quote]