VOGONS

WINDAS help

Topic actions

First post, by 7F20

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Does anyone here know the Windas software for tuning Sony CRTs? I have an older Sony VGA monitor and it seems like the Drive is set low. I've found a bunch of pages showing how to adjust G1, but what I need is some explanation of other options in the Windas menu, mainly what will set the contrast range, and perhaps if there is something that changes the preset for the color gain and bias.

Thanks

Reply 2 of 3, by 7F20

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks, I watched that one, but he doesn't use Windas, he uses DAS, which is an older version that works with DOS. Windas is the Windows compatible version and is has a totally different interface. It also doesn't work with a lot of newer Sony monitors, including the one I own.

Reply 3 of 3, by 7F20

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I completely got this working. There's a whole procedure that does white balance, and that also sets your white point and black point. I didn't realize that was part of the operation.

Everything is good now and it my monitor looks great.

One thing it took me a really long time to sort out is that the RX and TX lines are completely reversed on the Sony Monitor. It didn't work until I hooked them up backwards.

I have no idea if there's some precedent for this, like it was historically backwards or something, but it's backwards from all three of my modern serial to TTL converters.