VOGONS

First post, by Cacofiend

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I recently built a WinXP rig with an FX 5700 LE and a 22 inch CRT and I'm having a strange flicker in some games.

Not sure I should call it flicker. I can only describe it as noticeable dark waves that run from top to bottom very quickly. The level of how well the eye can notice them depends on the game. It varies greatly.

I managed to capture it on video, but the camera captures it much stronger than the eye can see.

1. First sequence is BG2. Eye sees zero flicker, and the camera sees none (except for some very slow dark wave, which is invisible to the eye).
2. Sequence 2 is Fallout 1. The eye sees very minor flicker, the camera captures it much stronger than it is. But it's annoying and not sure if it's playable. It's EXACERBATED when you hover over UI elements! Wow.
3. Sequence 3 is Morrowind. Strong flicker. The camera captures it stronger than the eye, but it's absolutely unplayable.

Other games: Civ1 has no flicker. Descent has slight flicker, like Fallout 1. Both are launched through DOSbox.

The video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIfTXyHPZCU

I later managed to fix Fallout 1 by setting color to 8-bits in the high res patch. Now it's flawless. Weird.

Morrowind I can't fix in-game, but I fixed the flicker in the main menu. I set Nvidia driver to enforce V-Sync. Now it displays perfect 85 fps in the Main Menu and there's zero flicker. In the game, where the FPS ranges from 30 to 45, the flicker is terrible.
Fallout 1's fps is variable, 30 to 35. Yet not a problem.
Monitor is set to 85 hertz.

I had zero flicker on my old CRT back in the day, and I did play games at below max fps, because my PC sucked. Yet I never had a flicker problem. I wonder what's the cause of it. Slightly broken CRT? DirectX problem? Drivers problem?

Reply 1 of 3, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Does it react to absolute image brightness ? I.e if you dim down the image from monitor controls will it have any effect and/or is it worse in bright scenes ?

I have a similar thing going on in my monitor but only if the brightness of the image is set high enough. It likely comes down to capacitor aging but it isn't something I have tried to investigate yet (in the todo list).

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 2 of 3, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't think the monitor itself is to blame here. The monitor always gets 85fps. If the game is not at a solid 85fps, the graphics card sends the same frame multiple times to the monitor. The monitor just displays the voltage levels it receives from the graphics card. So the voltage levels that arrive at the monitor already contain this flicker, as it depends on stuff the monitor "cannot know". As you get a stable image as soon as fps is locked to the refresh rate, I suppose the brightness of the picture is related to current CPU load (i.e. power usage of the processor). Your fix for fallout likely works because the different color depth changed the power usage pattern of the PC.

The most likely culprit is unstable voltage supply on the graphics card. That might be due to bad capacitors on the graphics card, a bad power supply or bad contact of some power connector (ATX connector, graphics card slot and possibly dedicated power connector to the graphics card). Another possiblity is a bad ground connection of the monitor cable. The precise ground level at the PC might depend on CPU load, and the video levels are referred to the ground level at the PC. It is important that the monitor interprets the input voltages with respect to the PC ground, and not just some monitor internal ground. So your issue might also be caused by a bad VGA cable that doesn't provide a sufficiently stable ground connection.