VOGONS

First post, by radiokid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey

First post on here, just bought myself a Mitsubishi Diamond Plus 92 CRT 19” monitor from eBay, seller put a couple of pics up and I'm wondering what might be up with it? Looks like scratches but he says its not on the outside so not sure what, if anything, I can do to fix it when it arrives.

Appreciate any thoughts.

s-l1600.jpg
Filename
s-l1600.jpg
File size
140.75 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
s-l1600 (1).jpg
Filename
s-l1600 (1).jpg
File size
185.73 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 1 of 7, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not acceptable. Was this flaw there on ebay listing?

The damage is in the anti-glare coating.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 3 of 7, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I got a NEC monitor with a Mitsubishi tube with exactly same kind of problem and I took the time and used bunch of elbow grease to just wash off the coating. You can also just peel off the entire plastic layer (which has the antiglare and antistatic layer deposited on top) too if there are actual scratches in it so it is definitely workable. The tube is going to be pretty good when you get the front sorted out.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 5 of 7, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Since it is a flat one, you can apply car window tint film and it will work pretty good. A friend did that to his monitors that had this sort of problem and they're usable in ambient light again 🤣

Reply 6 of 7, by radiokid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for all the tips guys. Lets hope it comes off easily. It's weird as when I asked the seller if it was on the inside or outside he said inside. But I'm guessing they didn't fully understand the question... maybe. I'll definitely look into the car window tint film though Tiido. Do you think it should actually have a slight tint to it then? I don't want to make the screen darker if I can help it.

Reply 7 of 7, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

When you remove the original layer, the tube sort of becomes a pale mirror with poor contrast, not unlike an old black and white TV. The antiglare layer actually is quite dark and you want to match the darkness with a new tint layer as contrast you get in ambient light conditions largely depends on it. Without the layer in a dark room the monitor will be absolutely awesome though.