VOGONS

First post, by gamingretro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi folks, I've got a new old stock Sony Trinitron that has a slightly darker patch of pixels in the bottom left corner. This can be best seen with a green or white background. With the white background it just looks a bit gray. Any idea how I might be able to fix this anomaly? Degaussing has no effect. Thanks!

Attachments

Reply 3 of 12, by gamingretro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you for the suggestions. A magnet does help reduce the discoloring but only temporarily (and if aligned the right way). I've looked into adjusting the beam landing but cannot find any directions on how to do so and I cannot find it in the adjustment menu. Is it normally there?

Reply 4 of 12, by AppleSauce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gamingretro wrote on 2023-02-16, 04:20:

Thank you for the suggestions. A magnet does help reduce the discoloring but only temporarily (and if aligned the right way). I've looked into adjusting the beam landing but cannot find any directions on how to do so and I cannot find it in the adjustment menu. Is it normally there?

What model specifically is the monitor?

Reply 5 of 12, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Something has magnetized that corner. It may go away if you do several degausses over time but if not an external degausser may become necessary. Perhaps the mounting bolt has got magnetized and they're generally a bit far from the internal degauss coil and often outside magnetic shielding to get a good effect anyway (that shield can also get magnetized).
If you have a drill or some other rotary tool, you could place a magnet into it and spin it around nearby the affected area. Gentle sweeping motions near the affected area slowly going from far to near to far again.

If there's a speaker near that corner, it can be the source too. Speakers sometimes have unshielded magnets in them and this will affect the image like seen.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 6 of 12, by gamingretro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The model is Sony CPD-2003GT

No speakers; I've actually moved it around the room just to be sure it's not environmental.

I wonder if just placing a magnet under that corner of the monitor would work or if that would cause more damage over time?

Reply 7 of 12, by AppleSauce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gamingretro wrote on 2023-02-16, 21:18:

No speakers; I've actually moved it around the room just to be sure it's not environmental.

I wonder if just placing a magnet under that corner of the monitor would work or if that would cause more damage over time?

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1351261/Son … lected=2#manual

Yeah it seems like on your model the landing adjustment is a manual thing requiring moving parts and also using windas or dosdas.

I've got a G420 and a G500 and they both have a menu option to adjust the landing in the adjustment software by changing sliders which is how I fixed it on mine, I figured i would be the same thing for most other trintron computer monitors , sorry about that.

Reply 8 of 12, by gamingretro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
AppleSauce wrote on 2023-02-16, 23:12:
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1351261/Son … lected=2#manual […]
Show full quote

Yeah it seems like on your model the landing adjustment is a manual thing requiring moving parts and also using windas or dosdas.

I've got a G420 and a G500 and they both have a menu option to adjust the landing in the adjustment software by changing sliders which is how I fixed it on mine, I figured i would be the same thing for most other trintron computer monitors , sorry about that.

No worries, thanks for looking into it. I've been able to tape a thin magnet underneath that left corner, which seems to fix the problem. Hopefully it'll continue to work long term...

Reply 9 of 12, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I know people shot me down for this before, but you've got nothing to lose for trying this. My Trinitron had the same problem, then I moved, I drove the monitor in a uhaul for 3 hours, when I set it up and the new place the problem was gone. It was just like yours. My suggestion: Sit it on top of your washer or dryer for a few cycles and see if that helps.

Though, I can't say if it will do anything and cant say for sure it wont make it worse...but 3 hours of road vibrations seems to have fixed my monitor. Though people told me that wasn't possible. They tried to say natural magnetic fields must have been causing it, but I still have my doubts.

Reply 10 of 12, by AppleSauce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gamingretro wrote on 2023-02-17, 02:24:
AppleSauce wrote on 2023-02-16, 23:12:
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1351261/Son … lected=2#manual […]
Show full quote

No worries, thanks for looking into it. I've been able to tape a thin magnet underneath that left corner, which seems to fix the problem. Hopefully it'll continue to work long term...

Yeah I mean im pretty sure magnets would be taped on at the factory to fix purity issues so hopefully it should be fine.

Reply 11 of 12, by Boohyaka

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shagittarius wrote on 2023-02-17, 03:56:

I know people shot me down for this before, but you've got nothing to lose for trying this. My Trinitron had the same problem, then I moved, I drove the monitor in a uhaul for 3 hours, when I set it up and the new place the problem was gone. It was just like yours. My suggestion: Sit it on top of your washer or dryer for a few cycles and see if that helps.

Though, I can't say if it will do anything and cant say for sure it wont make it worse...but 3 hours of road vibrations seems to have fixed my monitor. Though people told me that wasn't possible. They tried to say natural magnetic fields must have been causing it, but I still have my doubts.

I'll take "things I'll never do" for a $1000, Alex 😁

I wouldn't say that shaking and vibrating 30yo electronics that are getting more and more rare for a relatively minor color inconvenience equals to having nothing to lose...he could definitely be losing a mainly working screen. I'm all for trying my luck with drastic treatment with something that looks FUBAR, but in this particular case, feels more like killing a fly with a nuclear warhead to me. But glad you inadvertently fixed your screen this way 😀 I would be highly concerned recommending anything like this to anyone else myself. If anything goes wrong, I'd feel really bad.

Reply 12 of 12, by gamingretro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Boohyaka wrote on 2023-02-17, 13:02:
Shagittarius wrote on 2023-02-17, 03:56:

I'll take "things I'll never do" for a $1000, Alex 😁

I wouldn't say that shaking and vibrating 30yo electronics that are getting more and more rare for a relatively minor color inconvenience equals to having nothing to lose...he could definitely be losing a mainly working screen. I'm all for trying my luck with drastic treatment with something that looks FUBAR, but in this particular case, feels more like killing a fly with a nuclear warhead to me. But glad you inadvertently fixed your screen this way 😀 I would be highly concerned recommending anything like this to anyone else myself. If anything goes wrong, I'd feel really bad.

Ha, well I might just have to try it if the magnet ever stops working but for now it seems to be doing great.