VOGONS

First post, by teodordumi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi! This is a pretty weird problem I reckon - I've fully installed everything I need software wise on Windows XP 32 bit and ran totally fine on another machine with a different mobo. After moving the SSD to my 4CoreDual-VSTA Build and installing the respective mobo drivers with SDI Origin, I've found that every GPU I try with this setup leads to a hard crash.

Here's a description of the crash: Always after installing the GPU drivers, after reboot Windows XP will show the dekstop for exactly 10 or so seconds - mouse is movable but everything is completely frozen, and then the system hard reboots (no BSOD). Curiously, if I enable VGA mode, the system does not crash and successfully boots with 480p resolution. Afterwards, I can change resolution and system seems to work fine, drivers are loaded and performance is great. But after a reboot, the system will crash again after freezing for 10 seconds just like before - requiring me to enable VGA mode again and set the correct resolution again. I've also had it freeze and crash while using it in VGA mode, before rebooting.

Looking at the minidump, I'm reading "THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER_M" with the code 0x100000EA. I get that this is a driver problem - but I don't understand why this happens with every GPU consistently.
When running with the HD4890 and Catalyst 13.1, the drivers marked in the crash stack are: ati2cqag.dll, ati2dvag.dll, hal.dll, ntoskrnl.exe, and win32k.sys.

This has happened with every PCIe GPU I have on hand. Namely:
HD 4890
HD 5770
HD 5870
HD 3870
GTX 560 Ti
9800 GTX
8600 GT

My specs:
MB: ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA with 2.39a beta BIOS
PSU: Corsair VX550
RAM: 4GB DDR2
CPU: Core2Duo E7600
SND: Audigy 2ZS

I don't quite understand what enabling VGA mode does. I was also careful to completely uninstall the previous GPU drivers and clean up with DriverCleaner between GPUs. I've also restored to an older image of the system drive before I started swapping GPUs, and the problem persists.

If someone has run into anything similar and has any advice, it would be greatly appreciated!

Reply 1 of 4, by shevalier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Problem with powering PCIe\AGP.
Without driver videocard run at max clock, but do nothing.
After loading the driver, the card will reset the frequencies to 2D. But it also activates desktop computing.
As a result, the card still consumes more than without the driver.

Aopen MX3S, PIII-S Tualatin 1133, Radeon 9800Pro@XT BIOS, Diamond monster sound MX300
JetWay K8T8AS, Athlon DH-E6 3000+, Radeon HD2600Pro AGP, Audigy 2 Value

Reply 2 of 4, by teodordumi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
shevalier wrote on 2023-05-03, 20:29:
Problem with powering PCIe\AGP. Without driver videocard run at max clock, but do nothing. After loading the driver, the card wi […]
Show full quote

Problem with powering PCIe\AGP.
Without driver videocard run at max clock, but do nothing.
After loading the driver, the card will reset the frequencies to 2D. But it also activates desktop computing.
As a result, the card still consumes more than without the driver.

Thanks for the reply but I'm not too sure,
If it was drawing too much power, I don't think it would happen with every GPU I have, and giving out the same error code in the minidump. The system runs fine after the drivers are loaded in VGA mode, including running demanding games, leading me to think the power draw is not an issue. Or am I understanding this wrong?

Additionally, the system ran fine with my ATI Radeon 9600 XT when AGP was selected as the primary video device.

Reply 4 of 4, by timsdf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have same -VSTA board and noticed that switching gpu from ati 9800 AGP--> 8800GTS PCIe performance was low. ~67% what it should be. I used DDU to uninstall all gpu drivers but no improvement. Only reinstalling XP SP3 made it work properly.

It's not the same problem you have but I would try with win7 / new XP install the board works too.