VOGONS

First post, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Title says it all. This should be possible, right? Then you could choose 16 colors from all of the available 64 EGA colors instead of being limited to the 16 CGA colors, and still have a low enough resolution to push pixels quickly for a game.

This would require a real EGA monitor, though, something which seems to be very rare these days.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 1 of 3, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don’t think EGA can be reprogrammed in the same way as VGA in terms of custom resolutions

Reply 2 of 3, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
rmay635703 wrote on 2023-06-28, 17:42:

I don’t think EGA can be reprogrammed in the same way as VGA in terms of custom resolutions

The maximum scanline variant of creating double scan (opposed to the dedicated double scan bit used in most VGA double-scanned modes) should work fine on EGA, too.

Reply 3 of 3, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I seem to remember that one version of Paperboy did this in EGA mode. Or maybe it was 320x350, which should also be interesting (basically mode 10h at half the dot clock).

keenmaster486 wrote on 2023-06-28, 16:21:

This would require a real EGA monitor, though, something which seems to be very rare these days.

Or a multisync one. It'll work just fine on VGA as well, but there of course you'd already have an even larger palette built in.

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]