VOGONS

First post, by tobiasrieper

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have spent tha last 4 hours trying to get these drivers to work for this gpu. Everytime I've installed a different driver I am greeted by a turquoise screen and the mouse pointer. I can move the mouse pointer but nothing else happens. I also hear the boot up jingle.

I have deleted the old drivers using dcpro removal tool. Have updated Chipset drivers (via appollo pro 4 in1)
I've tried the drivers from Vogons as well as phils labs and a few others including but flip one. Could the card be bad?

I'm at my wits end..please help.

Attachments

• 20230804_011531.jpg
    Filename
    20230804_011531.jpg
    File size
    1.19 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by tobiasrieper on 2023-08-05, 23:37. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 33, by dormcat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
tobiasrieper wrote on 2023-08-04, 01:27:

Everytime I've installed a different driver I am greeted by a turquoise screen and the mouse pointer. I can move the mouse pointer but nothing else happens.

That's the default Win98 desktop wallpaper; it's not uncommon for a faulty DLL that could stuck Win98 there. IIRC you could summon Task Manager with Ctrl-Alt-Del at this screen as long as the keyboard is responding; terminate suspicious program(s) and see if Win98 could display taskbar and desktop afterwards.

Reply 2 of 33, by Babasha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
I have spent tha last 4 hours trying to get these drivers to work for this gpu. Everytime I've installed a different driver I am […]
Show full quote

I have spent tha last 4 hours trying to get these drivers to work for this gpu. Everytime I've installed a different driver I am greeted by a turquoise screen and the mouse pointer. I can move the mouse pointer but nothing else happens. I also hear the boot up jingle.

I have deleted the old drivers using dcpro removal tool. Have updated Chipset drivers (via appollo pro 4 in1)
I've tried the drivers from Vogons as well as phils labs and a few others including but flip one. Could the card be bad?

Try to wait some time. Get the same issue installing other cards on Win98 + NUSB + unofficial service pack. After 5-7 min it "unfreeze" and complete drivers install.

Need help? Begin with photo and model of your hardware 😉

Reply 3 of 33, by tobiasrieper

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dormcat wrote on 2023-08-04, 08:50:

Everytime I've installed a different driver I am greeted by a turquoise screen and the mouse pointer. I can move the mouse pointer but nothing else happens.

That's the default Win98 desktop wallpaper; it's not uncommon for a faulty DLL that could stuck Win98 there. IIRC you could summon Task Manager with Ctrl-Alt-Del at this screen as long as the keyboard is responding; terminate suspicious program(s) and see if Win98 could display taskbar and desktop afterwards.

Hiya thanks for your reply. Ctrl-Alt-Del doesn't respond, I have to manually switch off the PC. Thanks though:)

Reply 4 of 33, by tobiasrieper

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Babasha wrote on 2023-08-04, 08:59:
I have spent tha last 4 hours trying to get these drivers to work for this gpu. Everytime I've installed a different driver I am […]
Show full quote

Try to wait some time. Get the same issue installing other cards on Win98 + NUSB + unofficial service pack. After 5-7 min it "unfreeze" and complete drivers install.

Thanks I will do a fresh Install of win 98 and try again 😀
Will update when I've had a go.

Reply 6 of 33, by tobiasrieper

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2023-08-04, 14:33:

You need to adjust GUI acceleration slider.

Hiya I've done that and yay it works! But I have no 3d acceleration and dxdiag is reporting 0.5mb vram when the card should have 16mb?!
Here are some screens. How should I proceed? Send this card back and get another?

Attachments

• 20230805_004340.jpg
    Filename
    20230805_004340.jpg
    File size
    1.35 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • 20230805_004403.jpg
    Filename
    20230805_004403.jpg
    File size
    1.83 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • 20230805_004433.jpg
    Filename
    20230805_004433.jpg
    File size
    1.7 MiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 7 of 33, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just move slider to the right one notch, 3D hardware acceleration should work fine that way. S3 has some mouse acceleration (slider set to full) issues. It's not present in Win2k drivers though.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 8 of 33, by tobiasrieper

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2023-08-05, 04:14:

Just move slider to the right one notch, 3D hardware acceleration should work fine that way. S3 has some mouse acceleration (slider set to full) issues. It's not present in Win2k drivers though.

Hey bud, I did try moving it up one notch but after a reboot it hangs at the screen again and I have to reboot into safe mode and turn down the acceleration.. any suggestions?

Reply 9 of 33, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No, I had no issues that severe. Maybe try to nuke AGP GART driver.

Reply 10 of 33, by tobiasrieper

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2023-08-05, 07:21:

No, I had no issues that severe. Maybe try to nuke AGP GART driver.

I'm sorry I don't understand.
My motherboard is a soltek 65kv2 with a
VIA VT82C694X (Apollo Pro 133A) chipset.

Reply 11 of 33, by tobiasrieper

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Should I uninstall VIA CPU to AGP Controller? I'm trying to figure out if it's a software issue or hardware with either chipset or card

Attachments

• 20230805_092116.jpg
    Filename
    20230805_092116.jpg
    File size
    1.87 MiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 12 of 33, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I can't access my VIA test bench at the moment, but probably yes. Although VIA drivers packs also have uninstallers for specific components.

Reply 13 of 33, by tobiasrieper

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2023-08-05, 14:58:

I can't access my VIA test bench at the moment, but probably yes. Although VIA drivers packs also have uninstallers for specific components.

Thank you. I just don't think this GPU likes this system. I will find a via uninstaller uninstall this part, then I will try installing the gpu drivers. This system is odd, i had to leave my soundcard unplugged then install it after windows had done its thing otherwise the OS would not function as intended. Crashing all the time and being generally crap. Its an ESS card. Works perfectly now, mind. Do I even need this driver?

My first PC was WinXP (Was 16 and saved up money from work) that was a breeze compared to 98!

Reply 14 of 33, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

AGP GART? Well yeah, but with S3 Savage 4 low performance, the impact would be minimal.

Reply 15 of 33, by tobiasrieper

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2023-08-05, 17:03:

AGP GART? Well yeah, but with S3 Savage 4 low performance, the impact would be minimal.

Is your opinion that its probably down to it being a not so amazing card?
Is there a card that your particularly recommend (I can't afford a Voodoo at the moment, I got 4 kids to feed) must have great dos compatibility and manufactured around same era.

Reply 17 of 33, by tobiasrieper

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for your help, I wanted an S3 to check out their metal API. Quick question, I presume having hardware acceleration on the second to lowest setting affects my 3d games?

The only other thing I can think of is try another power supply? Maybe the one from my current 'modern ' pc. I'm using a 350watt at the mo in the 98 build, checked the 12v and 5v line they good.

Reply 18 of 33, by weldum

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

you see, early agp implementation in via chipsets was very bad, savage4 is one of the most affected, it needs the agp to be set at 1x speed for it to work right, also the savage4 simply doesn't like the ALi chipsets, but that's another story.

DT: R7-5800X3D/R5-3600/R3-1200/P-G5400/FX-6100/i3-3225/P-8400/D-900/K6-2_550
LT: C-N2840/A64-TK57/N2600/N455/N270/C-ULV353/PM-1.7/P4-2.6/P133
TC: Esther-1000/Esther-400/Vortex86-366
Others: Drean C64c/Czerweny Spectrum 48k/Talent MSX DPC200/M512K/MP475

Reply 19 of 33, by tobiasrieper

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I could try the older VIA 4 in 1 chipset drivers with AGPx4 disabled. I really do want to use an S3 Card though or a Voodoo 3but they are too much money. I could buy another card like the S3 Savage 4 Extreme? And there's a good deal on a savage pro.
I don't really want to get another motherboard! Is it possible to have 2 GPUs in the motherboard and just switch the vga cable (S3 for DOS games) and A geforce 4 or something in a PCI slot for D3d games?
I presume nerfing the hardware acceleration slider in windows affects my games I have installed like Deus Ex and Unreal? Thanks