VOGONS

First post, by jdredd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have the ISA Trident 8900D. Common card.

Like a lot of video cards it seems of this era, they had some kind of expansion port, such as these and the 26 pin port deal at top.

Was this ever used for anything? The magic 8 ball seems to say Outlook not so good....

So if not. What COULD it be used for? Was there any documentation for these ports? Ala, add more video ram?

Basically getting to, what could someone do if they had the smarts... not me, but someone else to make something that could snap on and add some features that we 30+ years later can take advantage of?

I know 1mb seems to be the norm then and not alot took advantage of it in DOS days? So if could say add 1MB more... then people who port games sources such as wolf/doom3d could in theory maybe, take advantage of
all them video ram bits in some way to do programming magic for speed enhacements and the likes.

I know dumb stuff from a dumb guy.... Sorry... I havent had to think about of any of this stuff until recently getting back into the retro world so I am behind in the ways.

Reply 1 of 4, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

look up VESA or VGA " feature connector " for more info.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 2 of 4, by jdredd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
weedeewee wrote on 2023-09-21, 15:57:

Ugh... I swear I used the Google Machine... I think my case I narrowed it down to "8900D feature connector" which doesn't really show much. So close...

I guess question lays at... has anyone here... been able to make their own "feature" to use these? beyond mpeg decoders and TV tuners?
Ala, something neat using todays hackery with Teensy / Picos / ect to add some kind of crutch boost in performance in some fashion?

Reply 3 of 4, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
jdredd wrote on 2023-09-21, 16:03:
Ugh... I swear I used the Google Machine... I think my case I narrowed it down to "8900D feature connector" which doesn't really […]
Show full quote

Ugh... I swear I used the Google Machine... I think my case I narrowed it down to "8900D feature connector" which doesn't really show much. So close...

I guess question lays at... has anyone here... been able to make their own "feature" to use these? beyond mpeg decoders and TV tuners?
Ala, something neat using todays hackery with Teensy / Picos / ect to add some kind of crutch boost in performance in some fashion?

Hi there! This project comes to mind: CRT Terminator Digital VGA Feature Card ISA DV1000

🙂

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 4 of 4, by jdredd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jo22 wrote on 2023-09-21, 16:24:
jdredd wrote on 2023-09-21, 16:03:
Ugh... I swear I used the Google Machine... I think my case I narrowed it down to "8900D feature connector" which doesn't really […]
Show full quote

Hi there! This project comes to mind: CRT Terminator Digital VGA Feature Card ISA DV1000

🙂

Yah thats the ticket... stuff like this was what I was pondering about.

So I take it, traffic can go both ways.

This is what makes me ponder if something can be plugged in here then that could become a companion in VGA acceleration for retro developers to use on game hacks/ports or i guess even new games and what not.
Use the 24pin as the bridge its ment to be and X number of cards have the ability to slap on some accelerator card to it using todays hardware toys.