Oak OTI087X

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 20, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CoffeeOne wrote on 2024-01-05, 22:22:
I quickly checked Dosdays. S3 864 chip based PCI(!) cards might have been available already since 1992? I cannot believe it hone […]
Show full quote
Scythifuge wrote on 2024-01-05, 21:53:
CoffeeOne wrote on 2024-01-05, 21:36:
One more remark: I checked again the picture of the Diamond Viper PCI. The Weitek chips have a date code from 1993 week 44 (?) S […]
Show full quote

One more remark: I checked again the picture of the Diamond Viper PCI. The Weitek chips have a date code from 1993 week 44 (?)
So it is maybe one of oldest PCI cards existing. So from a collector's point of view, you should not sell it 😁

EDIT: Now I am curious: What was the first PCI graphics card?
S3 928 chip based cards might have been the first? Or Mach32 PCI?
Anyone knows?

I have been checking the Dos Days website a lot when trying to find cards by specific year. It is easy to get lost while researching all of those cards! Also, going by the prices of a lot of these cards these days, an S3 of some sort is probably the only answer, unless I stick with my overkill Mach64 8mb, hehehe.. I may throw the Mach32 in there and run some game tests.

I quickly checked Dosdays.
S3 864 chip based PCI(!) cards might have been available already since 1992? I cannot believe it honestly spoken 😁
EDIT: The ones I find on Ebay are all from 1994. So S3 928 or your upcoming Viper win the contest for being older.

Since we upgraded from the SX to the DX2 in 1994, I'll consider 1994 cards. I think it is cool after all that I nabbed that Viper card!