VOGONS

First post, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Looking for something apparently pretty obscure - I have a Puretek PT-2072 VLB card with IIT/Xtec AGX016A chipset and Sierra SC15021CV 8-bit RAMDAC. It's an old, slow, somewhat accelerated (in Windows, if you can find the drivers) SVGA card.

Now, the only software for this chipset family I can find is for the Hercules Graphite (VL) Pro and Graphite Power cards, and for the Orchid Celcius/VLB (both have AGX015 chipsets rather than the AGX016A of my card):

- Archive.org has the Hercules download page for these cards archived - but not the links :'(
- https://gona.mactar.hu/DOS_TESTS_VLB/ is great as ever, tested the chip (on Hercules Graphite VL Pro) and links to both Hercules and Orchid VESA tools.

Those links to HGCVESA and CVLBVESA work, but results are less than stellar:

- HGCVESA 2.27, 2.32 and 2.44 all give the same message:

AGX VESA BIOS Extensions Version 2.xx […]
Show full quote

AGX VESA BIOS Extensions Version 2.xx

[...]

Cannot load this program (missing Hercules Graphite board).
This program is copyrighted and must be used on Hercules products.

- CVLBVESA 1.01 runs:

Orchid Technology VLB VESA Bios Extensions
Version 1.01

This partially works - X-VESA now detects VESA 2.1 with OEM name: ORCHID TECHNOLOGIES CELSIUS VLB with 1,024 Kbytes [sic] of video memory. But only 8 bpp graphics modes (and 4 bpp txt) are available and refresh rates are interesting (mode 0105 1024x768 @ 8 bpp gives 40Hz...). The card should offer 15 and 16 bpp modes limited only by video memory.

UniVBE 5.3 UVCONFIG correctly detects the AGX-016 chipset but only identifies 256 Kb [sic] RAM and says:

The above graphics card has been detected, but is not currently supported. SciTech Display Doctor will not work with your graphics card, so no drivers have been generated.

I'm now pretty stuck. Anyone have non-Hercules or Orchid BIOS extensions for AGX016A?