VOGONS

First post, by MSxyz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

First post here,

Recently I've become a bit of nostalgic (or rather... I was getting fed up with modern software which seems written by dummies for dummies...) and I've taken out of storage my old hardware which, surprisingly, still works after 20+ yrs of inactivity.

Last week, I've also purchased a "super" EGA card to complement an old 286 system... It's in very good shape (no scratches, no excessive sign of wear on the connectors) and I like to try some odd video modes beyond the usual ones.

It's based on the Chips & technologies 82C441/442 chipset (rasterizer+interface) which seems to be an early SVGA implementation rather than a "pure" EGA clone. To display 256 colors or output analog RGB, however, it needs an external RAMDAC, which is missing in my card. Without this extra chip, the chipset can still drive an EGA monitor (64 colors) since it has 16 internal register for the palette and the necessary ttl outputs.

The 82C441 datasheet I've found online, however, doesn't list the video modes supported (I suppose it's more a firmware thing that something baked into the chip) nor the function and settings of the DIP switches on the back (which should allow the card to interface to different monitor types). Therefore, I'm asking if somebody has seen such a card before and can provide some more info.

The card comes with 4 crystals. One is 36Mhz, thus the card supports 800x600 @56Hz. The other three are 16.257 Mhz (EGA/MDA/Herclues) 25.00 Mhz (640x480 although a little out of spec) and the last one is 26.824 MHz, which is a bit of an odd frequency. I was expecting to see a 28.6Mhz crystal for CGA emulation... I guess this board uses a different dot clock for these modes.

Here are the pictures of this board:

Any help would be welcome...

Reply 1 of 3, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
MSxyz wrote on 2024-02-07, 17:12:

I was expecting to see a 28.6Mhz crystal for CGA emulation...

This one is easy: The ISA bus carries a 14.318MHz clock signal. No need for a crystal on the card. The IBM CGA had no crystal on the card at all.

Reply 2 of 3, by Rwolf

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I guess it's a clone of some Paradise PEGA card from the 1990:s. Never heard of the 'FTC computer' brand printed on the board.

(While googling I only found some ebay pics of the very same board, I guess you bought it there.
Slightly better pics though: https://www.ebay.com/itm/315051273348 )

Reply 3 of 3, by MSxyz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Rwolf wrote on 2024-02-07, 22:04:

I guess it's a clone of some Paradise PEGA card from the 1990:s. Never heard of the 'FTC computer' brand printed on the board.

(While googling I only found some ebay pics of the very same board, I guess you bought it there.
Slightly better pics though: https://www.ebay.com/itm/315051273348 )

Yes, that's the card.

While the late '80s early '90s were golden years for cloners of all sorts, I doubt this is a clone of the Paradise PEGA2A because, unlike the Paradise, this one can actually work as a VGA (8 planes) provided it's mated to an extrnal RAMDAC. Later Paradise VGAs were also single chip solutions (at least the ones I've seen). Nevermind that Chips & Technology had its own R&D, so when it comes to clones, it's usually the other way around (just think of the many CT chip sets for 286 and 386 that resurfaced under a different brand...)

I found some resemblance with "Genoa Super EGA" cards, both in look and capabilities (i.e. the ability to display 800x600 with a 36MHz dot clock). However these cards feature two Genoa-branded chips, so I can't say with certainty they were cloned.

A step in the right direction to know more about this card would also be finding another EGA that uses the same chipset...