VOGONS

First post, by hornet1990

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi

I'm experimenting with a system I've been given and I've come across a visual glitch which I can't explain. It happens reliably on the Wndows 2000 shutdown screen and I get static like horizontal lines across the whole shaded area, but the actual shutdown dialog is fine (see attached - not a great photo but you get the idea)

I've also seen the same glitch on the face plate of the default character in Quake3 when killed and it switches to the external view. No where else though, and I've run several other games and 3DMark 99/2000/2001 and haven't seen anything like it - everything looks fine. Looks like some kind of specific blending issue.

Anyone know what it might be? I'm using the last official drivers (v1.04), rest of the specs are:

Windows 2000 SP4
Athlon mobile 1.2Ghz (running as 1Ghz - 5 x 200 FSB)
256Mb DDR 3200
nForce2 400 chipset
Voodoo 4 4500 PCI
Soundblaster live value

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_5800.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_5800.jpg
    File size
    1.85 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 2 of 9, by dominusprog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Have you tried a different monitor? If so, check the components around the d-sub/DVI connector.

Duke_2600.png
A-Trend ATC-1020 V1.1 ❇ Cyrix 6x86 150+ @ 120MHz ❇ 32MiB EDO RAM (8MiBx4) ❇ A-Trend S3 Trio64V2 2MiB
Aztech Pro16 II-3D PnP ❇ 8.4GiB Quantum Fireball ❇ Win95 OSR2 Plus!

Reply 3 of 9, by hornet1990

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
rasz_pl wrote on 2024-03-24, 22:48:

Unstnced LCD, force your monitor to sync on this blue screen.

Thanks rasz_pl, that is the problem. I've learned something new about my monitor too!

Auto-focus was better but still off. Interestingly it requires different manual settings depending on what scaling the monitor does which I find slightly bizarre. In 1:1 scaling mode I get the proper stable dithered background with a high focus value (67), but with 4:3 or full modes I need different values for both, and get a weird pattern (attached) rather than the dithering. I shall have to play some more...

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_5809.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_5809.jpg
    File size
    1.5 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 8 of 9, by hornet1990

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Unfortunately I don't have another monitor to test with, CRT or otherwise... something I will be looking at shortly.

However I have found that the orb/pill background only appears on the shutdown screen when the desktop resolution is anything other than 4:3, so it appears with 1280x1024, but not 800x600 or 1024x768 for example - they perfectly show the correct dithered pattern. So I'm thinking it's more likely an issue the monitor (Asus PA238Q) has with scaling non 4:3 resolutions.

Reply 9 of 9, by Spark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
rasz_pl wrote on 2024-03-24, 22:48:

Unstnced LCD, force your monitor to sync on this blue screen.

Yes it looks like the phase is off on the auto sync. The monitor's VGA auto sync locks on best when the computer is displaying a tight checkered pattern. The windows shutdown screen is dithered so it reveals when the phase is off where you might not otherwise notice.
In this driver package there's an executable called testpat.exe. It displays the ideal pattern for the monitor's auto sync.
Run it, auto sync the monitor the press esc to exit out.
https://www.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php … riverid=1857860