VOGONS

First post, by luke7110

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all, I'm trying to repair a Monster 3D with storage damage. Some traces were cut and smd components damaged. They may need to be replaced.
Is there a component map for this card ?
Capacitors C43 and C84

Monster 3D PCB .jpg
Filename
Monster 3D PCB .jpg
File size
742.29 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
Monster 3D 01.jpg
Filename
Monster 3D 01.jpg
File size
1.74 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
Monster 3D 02.jpg
Filename
Monster 3D 02.jpg
File size
1.93 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
Monster 3D 03.jpg
Filename
Monster 3D 03.jpg
File size
1.9 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
Monster 3D 04.jpg
Filename
Monster 3D 04.jpg
File size
1.75 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 5 of 17, by sdz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

-scrape the soldermask off a bit, apply flux and tin the traces with solder.
-take a small diameter wire, apply flux, tin it.
-apply some more flux on the board and solder the wire in, trim excess wire with a scalpel blade after soldering
-clean with IPA
-optional apply UV curable green soldermask

Reply 6 of 17, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
luke7110 wrote on 2024-05-07, 13:07:

Yeah, I think I'll need a good technique to fix these traces neatly 😅

Check out Bits und Bolts videos on YT for very good trace repair examples. Necroware also has some very good repairs documented.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 7 of 17, by luke7110

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
sdz wrote on 2024-05-07, 14:00:
-scrape the soldermask off a bit, apply flux and tin the traces with solder. -take a small diameter wire, apply flux, tin it. -a […]
Show full quote

-scrape the soldermask off a bit, apply flux and tin the traces with solder.
-take a small diameter wire, apply flux, tin it.
-apply some more flux on the board and solder the wire in, trim excess wire with a scalpel blade after soldering
-clean with IPA
-optional apply UV curable green soldermask

Thanks for the guidelines, what do you advise for the wire ? I saw people using a wire taken from an unsoldering braid.

appiah4 wrote on 2024-05-07, 14:01:

Check out Bits und Bolts videos on YT for very good trace repair examples. Necroware also has some very good repairs documented.

I'll check it out, thanks ! 👍

Reply 10 of 17, by technokater

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You might need to get UV light for that as well. The solder masks I used so far needed UV light for curing. If you haven't one already. It is generally written in the spec if you need UV for your particular mask.

Reply 12 of 17, by luke7110

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
technokater wrote on 2024-05-07, 16:25:

You might need to get UV light for that as well. The solder masks I used so far needed UV light for curing. If you haven't one already. It is generally written in the spec if you need UV for your particular mask.

I have an eprom eraser, it should work?! 🤔

Reply 14 of 17, by luke7110

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
technokater wrote on 2024-05-08, 07:04:

I use an UV flashlight that's not very powerful and consistent in illuminating but it works, so I think yours will work too.

Ok, I'll keep you posted ! Thanks 😉

Reply 15 of 17, by luke7110

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
appiah4 wrote on 2024-05-07, 14:01:
luke7110 wrote on 2024-05-07, 13:07:

Yeah, I think I'll need a good technique to fix these traces neatly 😅

Bits und bolts ... a real gold mine!
However, I think I'll begin with some nasty wire bridges in order to see IF the card could be repaired, then I'll do it the fancy way 😎

I read that windows install with previously installed Voodoo2 drivers could make interferences with drivers and prevent a voodoo 1 card from working. Do you agree with that ? I only have Voodoo 2 cards and therefore voodoo 2 configured retro pcs, so I maybe should reinstall a clean windows 98 before trying to do a diagnostic ?

Reply 16 of 17, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's my experience with switching between a Voodoo 1 then a voodoo 2 and back again. The computer would freeze on a turqouise display when trying to switch to 3d mode.
I ended up doing a clean install and now run 2 separate compact flash cards on that test computer to go between V2 -> V1
See my post here: Re: 3Dfx Voodoo 1 - Low level hardware information and diagnostics thread
You can verify by running tomb raider in DOS which isn't tied to the Windows drivers in the same way.

So either clean install or 100% clear out the V2 drivers before putting the V1 back in, as in search the windows folder for every file in the Voodoo 2 driver folder and delete that before proceeding.