VOGONS

First post, by d3vilsadvocate

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I’m interested in purchasing above mentioned screen from 2005 to use with my P3 retro system. It seems like a good deal offering 1280x1024, DVI and 2 VGA inputs which is exactly what I need for my current Geforce 4/Voodoo 2 setup.

I dont think I necessarily need a CRT screen to be honest. But all I want is to move away from my upscaler solution. I don‘t really care about input lag either (I think…)

Is this a good or bad idea? Would DOS resolutions most likely work with a screen from 2005?
Anything I‘m not considering but should? Maybe terrible scaling or something?

Any input appreciated

Reply 1 of 4, by sysctl

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's an MVA panel, so not ideal for gaming, especially with a monitor of this age. VA ghosting can be really bad for fast paced games. If the convenience is really that important for you and you don't mind the disadvantages of VA panels, Sony made very good quality monitors back then, so go for it. It's better to test it before buying it, CCFLs 18 years old might not be in such a good condition.
Otherwise I suggest to look for a newer one with a TN panel and led backlight or an even a brand new one with an IPS panel, 1280x1024 was a very common resolution for a long time.
See this video from Phil's channel, it's very informative.

Reply 2 of 4, by smtkr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have the Sony MFM-HT95, which I believe has the same panel in it.

I'm very happy with it.

Edit: I should note that I don't have a ton of testing with DOS games on this monitor (used primarily for Windows 9x gaming). It didn't have any issues with the DOS games that I tested, but I didn't test any super old DOS games. If you want me to test something for you and it can be run from a floppy, I could probably give it a go.

Reply 3 of 4, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

When was in CRT to LCD transition era from 2003 to 2010, I had an early Samsung 19" LCD. It has smearing when scrolled which shows this badly. No longer have it. Got replaced with one from 2010 which I still have SyncMaster PX2370 in use.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 4 of 4, by smtkr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
pentiumspeed wrote on 2024-06-01, 00:03:

When was in CRT to LCD transition era from 2003 to 2010, I had an early Samsung 19" LCD. It has smearing when scrolled which shows this badly. No longer have it. Got replaced with one from 2010 which I still have SyncMaster PX2370 in use.

Cheers,

FWIW, Samsung used 25ms displays well after other manufacturers were pushing out cheap sub-10ms displays. Ghosting was a pretty common complaint for Samsung monitors.