VOGONS

First post, by elCheapoDeluxe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have had my DOS pc in my living room for quite some time, but I am getting to the point where I will upgrade my TV set soon. New TV sets just don't have VGA inputs, and the more passive VGA to HDMI adapters probably aren't going to work right with 320x200 resolution old old DOS games I'm guessing. The 640x480 games are probably fine with just conversion, but below that I think needs an active scaler because the TV won't understand it. My not-so-old Win98 game system has DVI out, but I'm never going to find DVI for my old ISA/VLB 486. I have considerable investment in the system w/ MT-32 and SC55-mkII so I don't want to go all dosbox on the situation.

I have seen some older threads talking about various adapters / scalers - but many of the recommendations are incomplete or for hardware no longer available. Does anyone have experience with a good VGA to HDMI scaler that they know will work down to the bottom resolutions? Having a separate monitor will totally ruin my armchair gaming so I'd like to find one that works. 😀

Reply 1 of 6, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
elCheapoDeluxe wrote:

and the more passive VGA to HDMI adapters probably aren't going to work right with 320x200 resolution old old DOS games I'm guessing.

The first question: are there really any 320x200 games that you expect to be playing on such a regular basis that it is worth going to great lengths to accommodate them?

Secondly, does the TV still have composite inputs? I would think a VGA-to-composite adapter would still cooperate with low resolutions.

Reply 2 of 6, by Neco

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you want to spend serious money on a hardware scaler, something like the Micomsoft XRGBMini Framemeister is probably what you want to look into.

https://solarisjapan.com/products/xrgb-mini-f … -up-scaler-unit

They are primarily used for upscaling old game consoles ranging from 240p to 480p so I'm not exactly sure how they would work for computers, however I am actually very curious. I do believe there may be some very minor input lag involved as well. My theory is you could probably feed it a VGA->HDMI connection through its HDMI input or something. But I have no idea how well it will handle things like Vsync, or games which change resolutions (there are problems with certain console games that do this).

That'll only get you to 1080p though. You may have to let your TV upscale the signal from there. I don't personally know of any 4K upscalers or what their quality is

Reply 3 of 6, by elCheapoDeluxe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't think there is any problem with the TV once it is fed a standard resolution. 1080p to the TV is fine. I have purchased this on Amazon:

Sewell Direct SW-30008 Manta VGA to HDMI with 1080p Scaler
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009TB3HVA/ … ailpage_o00_s00

It doesn't list a couple of the resolutions I want, though, so I'll report back. I may end up trying the VGA to composite adapter as well, but from what I remember with past experiments the quality is usually bad.

Reply 4 of 6, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Have you tried the cheap route first? VGA text mode and 320x200 use the same 70hz refresh rate, its also a "standard" mode that most adapters and TVs will support.

Reply 5 of 6, by elCheapoDeluxe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I haven't tried anything yet. I haven't jammed the DB15HD pins into the shape of an HDMI socket yet to fit them into the set 😀

Actually, I haven't even bought a set yet until I know this problem is resolved. Will test with HDMI on my current 1080p set.

As I mentioned - I purchased a random scaler on Amazon and will report back once it arrives.

Reply 6 of 6, by elCheapoDeluxe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Success! I got the scaler in the Amazon link above and, even though it did not list 320x200 in the supported resolutions, it works like a champ. No lines, no difference I can tell at all versus using my tv's native VGA input. Exactly the same! I was most worried about old sierra AGI games that are 320x200, but I have a sample of multiple old games working like a champ. No setup or menus to mess with - just set the switch on the box to 1080p output and hooked up the wires. Couldn't be more pleased.

goldrush.jpg
Filename
goldrush.jpg
File size
157.18 KiB
Views
File comment
Sierra Gold Rush - an old AGI game
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
spacequest3.jpg
Filename
spacequest3.jpg
File size
157.67 KiB
Views
File comment
Space Quest 3
File license
monkey2.jpg
Filename
monkey2.jpg
File size
168.93 KiB
Views
File comment
Monkey Island 2
File license
tankwars.jpg
Filename
tankwars.jpg
File size
138.65 KiB
Views
File comment
Tank Wars
File license
Scaler.jpg
Filename
Scaler.jpg
File size
88.82 KiB
Views
File comment
Sewell Manta Scaler
File license

For reference I chose the pillarbox mode on my TV. It came up stretched to full screen as default.