VOGONS

First post, by synrgy87

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Need some opinions on which GPU setup to run on my Super Socket 7 Machine, it'll mainly be used for MS-DOS games, but including later MSDOS titles such as Tomb Raider and Quake, alongside older titles, such as DOOM, Dark Forces, some flight sims, Duke Nukem 3D, Lucas arts adventure games, Crusader, etc.

Current setup:
AMD K6-2 400mhz
FIC VA-503+ motherboard
32MB PC100 SDRAM
ISA Yamaha Audician 32plus with Dreamblaster S1
WD 40GB IDE HDD

Really undecided on what to use as a GPU.
I currently have the following cards:

Geforce MX4000 PCI (does not work with motherboard, i think it's a PCI voltage issue can is 1.5v only it seems)
CIRRUS Logic GD 5446 2MB PCI
SIS ST-6202 2MB PCI
S3 Virge DX PCI (not good VGA out)
S3 Trio 3D/2X+ 4MB AGP
ATI RAGE IIc 8MB AGP
ATI Radeon 9200 SE 128MB AGP
ATI Rage 128 32MB AGP

Also have a 9800XT and a 6600LE but these are just too new for the system and too power hungry for the PSU.

Card in bold is the one I'm Currently running in the system, Is there anything better i should be considering?
Can't seem to get Quake running at a playable FPS @ 640x480 Tomb Raider I'm almost happy with, although feels slow at times.

Is it worth considering Geforce 2 MX series cards?

Reply 1 of 6, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ati rage 128 32mb is not a bad card, MUCH better than the trio3d. Best of the bunch is 9200se. It will be a little bit overkill, as will a geforce2mx but they are very useable in the system.
Agp can be a headache with super 7 boards and some cards, Ati rage 128 will probably work just fine.

I use geforce2 gts and v2 sli in my k6-3+ system. Overkill but runs great.

edit: didn't read the dos part, i guess in dos it will not make a huge difference, in 3d (windows) it will.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 2 of 6, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Moved to Video.

Reply 3 of 6, by Rhuwyn

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's not on your list but I would seriously consider the S3 or Cirrus Logic paired with a Voodoo1 or maybe a Voodoo2. I'm pretty sure the that would handle any 3D games you would throw at it and you would have very high 2nd and 3d compatibility. Your other options leave you will a lot of potentially incompatibilities.

Reply 5 of 6, by synrgy87

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
swaaye wrote:

Moved to Video.

Thanks, Didn't actually notice the Sub forums for Video / Sound etc, are they newish?

Rhuwyn wrote:

It's not on your list but I would seriously consider the S3 or Cirrus Logic paired with a Voodoo1 or maybe a Voodoo2. I'm pretty sure the that would handle any 3D games you would throw at it and you would have very high 2nd and 3d compatibility. Your other options leave you will a lot of potentially incompatibilities.

I have some Voodoo 2 cards although they're in another system currently. could look into a Voodoo 1 to pair with the S3. from some benchmarks the S3 Trio seems to give better FPS with Quake than the other cards although still not really playable(S3 22fps, ATI cards all around the same with 18fps). I Guess i may have to go with windows for quake @640x480