VOGONS

First post, by olivil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi! I have a DOS/Win3.1 setup with a 486DX2-66.

I was looking for a deal on a ET4000W32i 2MB VLB card but I couldn't find anything at a decent price. However I found a nicely priced 1MB card (non upgradeable).
I know the W32i supports interleaving with 2MB installed, but isn't that only relevant in Windows?

My questions are, could the W32i support interleaving with only 1MB?
Will it be much slower than a 2MB card under my setup (90% DOS and 10% Win3.1)?

Thanks! 😀

Reply 1 of 16, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

In DOS only there is no difference between 1 or 2MB on w32i. In Windows with proper drivers difference is almost double in favour of 2MB.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 3 of 16, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Honestly, the Cirrus Logic VLB cards that are all over ebay are just as fast and a lot less expensive. I've got a Genoa 8500VL myself.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 7 of 16, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

To expand on kixs -- no. The VLB models are going to be a 5424, 5426 or 5428 more than likely. You can still upgrade to 2MB just for fun though. I did. Mine had the two memory sockets and I bought a bag of memory chips for cheap just to fill in the sockets on all my cards. 😀 Absolutely no difference in performance, but you do get extra resolutions/color depths.

Reply 8 of 16, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I will be publishing soon a thread comparing VLB card performance.

Of the cards in the study, there is: -

CL 5434 - 4 MB
CL 5428 - 2 MB
Genoa 8900VL Tseng W32i - 2 MB
Hercules Tseng W32p -2 MB

There are another dozen or so cards tested... the thread will not be long now.

... and btw, the W32i in DOS is marginally slower than the W32p, both cards have 45ns DRAM.

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

EISA Graphic Cards ¦ EISA Graphic Card Benchmarks

Reply 9 of 16, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
386_junkie wrote:
I will be publishing soon a thread comparing VLB card performance. […]
Show full quote

I will be publishing soon a thread comparing VLB card performance.

Of the cards in the study, there is: -

CL 5434 - 4 MB
CL 5428 - 2 MB
Genoa 8900VL Tseng W32i - 2 MB
Hercules Tseng W32p -2 MB

There are another dozen or so cards tested... the thread will not be long now.

... and btw, the W32i in DOS is marginally slower than the W32p, both cards have 45ns DRAM.

Now THAT sounds like something to look forward to. 😀

Reply 10 of 16, by fitzpatr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm also excited, as I'm just finishing my first VLB build and have a few to choose from.

Please announce the new post in this thread, 386_junkie, so I can follow it.

MT-32 Old, CM-32L, CM-500, SC-55mkII, SC-88Pro, SC-D70, FB-01, MU2000EX
K6-III+/450/GA-5AX/G400 Max/Voodoo2 SLI/CT1750/MPU-401AT/Audigy 2ZS
486 Build

Reply 12 of 16, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
fitzpatr wrote:

Please announce the new post in this thread, 386_junkie, so I can follow it.

Sure, will do.

I hope this is not too much a spoiler... and I suppose this will be well known in anycase... but the three best performers out of every VLB card/chipset I've tried... and i've just about tried them all... would be a combination of: -

1) STB's lightspeed - Tseng W32p
2) Diamond Stealth - S3 968
3) Spider 64 - CL5434

I noted that there was small performance difference in Tseng W32p cards depending on how many memory chips were present... both have 2MB, though the Hercules card had 16 memory chips, the STB only had 8... and was slightly faster, definitely the best Tseng based card out there... and probably the best VLB card in DOS.

The Spider 64 was a notable surprise, I had no idea there even was a CL5434 VLB based card... unsurprisingly this was the best Cirrus Logic card I tried.

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

Reply 13 of 16, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@386_junkie

Which benchmarks are you basing this on? Hopefully some combination of synthetics and game benches. If you're interested, the PCI DOS benchmarks link in my signature has some suggestions. I focus my results on actual games rather than synthetics. But I could see for a VLB test, some of these games might not be practical, even in VGA resolutions, due to being too demanding for a VLB-based system. Thanks again, looking forward to seeing your thread 😀

Reply 14 of 16, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've relied on PCPbench for many of them, all resolutions and up to 32bpp for those that can... DOOM in both Full View as well as with screen -1.

Still collecting Windows data... it's very time consuming.

Reply 15 of 16, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've benchmarked many top ISA and VLB cards in DOS and Windows with different resolutions and colour depth. Results are in Excel table. If there is interest I'll upload them. I'd upload them myself but I'm not completely satisfied. Would have to redo everything with all the cards I have - something I've planed on doing for a year or two now 🤣

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 16 of 16, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kixs wrote:

I've benchmarked many top ISA and VLB cards in DOS and Windows with different resolutions and colour depth. Results are in Excel table. If there is interest I'll upload them. I'd upload them myself but I'm not completely satisfied. Would have to redo everything with all the cards I have - something I've planed on doing for a year or two now 🤣

Out of curiosity... could you PM me a copy?

Thanks