VOGONS

First post, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Fantastic work @Intel! Never thought an old IGP from Intel released around 2000 would be the very best of the later GFX-Chips for Retro-Gaming, but it's true!
This Chip has the best Picture I have ever seen on a TFT in lowres 320x200. Really sharp and fantastic colors and contrast. No vertical or horizontal lines in
one-colored backgrounds. Lot's of drivers available from Win3x, over NT4, Win2k, Win95/98/ME/XP ...

The Chip has no problems with the difficult dos-games lot's of gfx-cards have issues with. The old EGA-Apogee-Games do work well too, some titles need
to be patched for the color-palette, but they do work fine then.

Beside the Win3x drivers (no fullscreen dos possible) the win9x drivers are also good and stable. The opengl driver is is relatively old (1.1.2) but performance
is 25-50% over a single voodoo1 in the same resolution. Image-quality is much better indeed.

I love that chip. Thx Intel!

Greetings
Doc

Lot's of drivers for the IGP https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/8153 … hics-Controller

Attachments

• Filename
    810815chipsetfamilydvmtpdf2.pdf
    File size
    221.78 KiB
    Downloads
    98 downloads
    File comment
    Interesting feature, how it handles the RAM.
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by dr.zeissler on 2017-09-27, 16:51. Edited 2 times in total.

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 2 of 18, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The i740 and friends are pretty solid GPUs for the time. Nice quality. Of course since the IGPs weren't as fast as the fastest solutions, and the motherboards usually didn't have AGP for expansion, they weren't exactly super desirable. Not sure how Intel's drivers really hold up for 3D compatibility either.

Reply 4 of 18, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I disagree. The openGL ICD can be very poor (lightmap corruptions are a thing) and the banded 16-bit color without any dithering or support for greater color depths will get on everyone's nerves, with a lower image quality than even the Riva128.

There's also a lack of configuration. All Intel gives you is a quick desktop resolution switcher.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 5 of 18, by dondiego

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Wasn't that great, the 2D part was from C&T and was good but no 32 bit support. In 3D only 16 bit, the ICD was decent for the time. But this one was clearly slower than a dedicated i740.

LZDoom, ZDoom32, ZDoom LE
RUDE (Doom)
Romero's Heresy II (Heretic)

Reply 6 of 18, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

In Q1/Q2/GLdoom/hexen/heretic there are no issues in opengl with intel-igp, but I have some problems in other/later games I have to investigate if they are due to my configuration or real issues with either the hardware or the drivers, but beside that newer stuff, the old stuff runs great.

Reply 8 of 18, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dexvx wrote:

I want one of those mythical i754 AGP cards.

I don't remember anything about this, tell me more?

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 9 of 18, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

btw. the I815e IGP is able to get ultra-smooth hardware-scrolling in Jazz2 at 640x400@8Bit. (only V3-AGP and Riva128 are capable of this, all other do stutter in Hardware-Mode) No scrolling issues in BioMenace/DDave and all other Apogee-Games too. Quickview 1.03 (Dos) with TrueColor up to high resolution. GREAT!

Reply 11 of 18, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Stiletto wrote:
dexvx wrote:

I don't remember anything about this, tell me more?

Guess they're referred to the i752, but that's i810 chipset.

http://vintage3d.org/i740.php#sthash.gf0P3McD.dpbs

"The Intel740 was expected to take large chunk of marker share, but instead struggled on mature markets. Who knows how much the i740 would fail if Intel did not bundle the chips at awfully low prices with other products in Asia? Meanwhile a refresh part was being designed, the i752. It was ready for release in spring 1999 but computer makers were not at all interested in it. Intel aborted the chip before high volume production and instead of improving they chose to scrap whole discrete video business almost immediately. Only few i752 cards made it into wild, making them super rare. But getting a taste of the technology is easy, since i752 was integrated into the i810 and following chipsets and served Intel's platform for four years. New features added were 16-tap anisotropic filtering, MPEG2 motion compensation, extended texture compression and embossed bump mapping. "

Reply 12 of 18, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dr.zeissler wrote:

btw. the I815e IGP is able to get ultra-smooth hardware-scrolling in Jazz2 at 640x400@8Bit.

So can a S3 Trio64v+ and any ATI PCI card.

What's your point?

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 13 of 18, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The point is, it can do it and it's a later chip but extremely compatible with very high quality output.
Can a S3 Trio64v+ D3D or OGL? does any ATI PCI card do D3D/OGL? you see what I mean?

Reply 14 of 18, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

...........clearly you haven't used 90s video hardware much. You're overselling a below-average video chipset and you want to prove its "might" by a desire to have "Brutal Doom" working on it

I'm well familiar with the i754 and the poor AGP-less computers it was stuck with. There were much better options for budget oem video solutions then (3dfx Voodoo Banshee, ATI Rage Pro) that offer better speed, configuration, driver support, and more importantly - dithering.

The only thing i751 has got going for it are (alleged) SSE optimizations in its driver. Don't try to sell that as HW T&L either.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 15 of 18, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Putas wrote:
dexvx wrote:

Don't we all. Right now I wonder, can i815 + dedicated framebuffer be the same thing?

810/815 doesn't support dedicated frame buffer.

The total graphics memory includes space for commands, the frame buffer (resolution), the Z-buffer, GDI data, and off-screen memory. When display cache or a GPA (4MB) is installed, the Z-buffer and GDI data are managed directly by the driver from this memory, avoiding real-time operating system memory manager calls, thereby improving performance.

http://download.intel.com/support/graphics/in … ilydvmtpdf2.pdf

Reply 16 of 18, by Putas

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
lazibayer wrote:
810/815 doesn't support dedicated frame buffer. […]
Show full quote
Putas wrote:
dexvx wrote:

Don't we all. Right now I wonder, can i815 + dedicated framebuffer be the same thing?

810/815 doesn't support dedicated frame buffer.

The total graphics memory includes space for commands, the frame buffer (resolution), the Z-buffer, GDI data, and off-screen memory. When display cache or a GPA (4MB) is installed, the Z-buffer and GDI data are managed directly by the driver from this memory, avoiding real-time operating system memory manager calls, thereby improving performance.

http://download.intel.com/support/graphics/in … ilydvmtpdf2.pdf

Oh, so the memory stick is limited like that. Might be close enough, perhaps?

Reply 17 of 18, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote:

...........clearly you haven't used 90s video hardware much. You're overselling a below-average video chipset and you want to prove its "might" by a desire to have "Brutal Doom" working on it I'm well familiar with the i754 and the poor AGP-less computers it was stuck with. There were much better options for budget oem video solutions then (3dfx Voodoo Banshee, ATI Rage Pro) that offer better speed, configuration, driver support, and more importantly - dithering. The only thing i751 has got going for it are (alleged) SSE optimizations in its driver. Don't try to sell that as HW T&L either.

There are much faster Solutions that's true, but that's not the point.

I have chosen a very tiny machine. Therefore I am limited in space and cooling-concept but I love silent machines. I tested this machine and I was stunned, it's just what I want, it's just perfect. I got much more old Dosgames running perfectly on it then the much bigger P2 or pentium systems I own, even my 486 have more compatibly-issues in older dosgames or much less performance then the integreted igp my tiny thin client has. No problems with (unstable) and resource-problematic lan (greetings to my unisys cwd486) either.

Btw. brutal-doom does work in softwaremode and it looks great for software-mode. I can't see any disadvantages either on the chip or the machine itself. It's not the right thing for later win9x games, that need a decent 3d-accelerator, but that's not the target of my machine. I started with one 2GB Dos-Partition on it and now I expanded to the max (4x2GB) because so many Games do work just out of the box. Nearly all lucas-/sierra adventures do work too. It's absolutely great.

Now I build my daughter-machine with a nec-power-vr instead of a voodoo1. The imagequality is even better, due to the direct monitor-connection without a loop cable.

So please keep in mind my target's and therefore the machine is perfect. I will make a yt-vid soon.

Reply 18 of 18, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

btw. I tested the micro-tower of the later p4-system (scenic-t) with i845 and it's fantastic too. perhaps it seems to have the same 2dcore in it.

Attachments

• Filename
    ds_scenic_t.pdf
    File size
    113.02 KiB
    Downloads
    67 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception