VOGONS

First post, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Which of the two is the better ISA card for a 486DX to DX4 build? I know CL is generally the better regarded brand but the GD5401 is only 256K and probably a much older model?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 2 of 10, by jade_angel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you insist on an ISA card, between those two the GD5401 would be my choice. However, I'd be looking for an ET4000AX or a later Cirrus card. On a DX/33 that might not be too far off, just a little slow. On a DX4, you'll definitely notice the difference between ISA and VLB or PCI.

Main Box: Macbook Pro M2 Max
Alas, I'm down to emulation.

Reply 3 of 10, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yah I wouldn't really recommend ISA for a DX4 build. However, I did have an ISA CL 5434 that was only about 15% slower than a PCI one... so that would be a hotrod for an ISA card.

TVGA cards, damn I hate those things 😁 I couldn't believe actually that they turned up in some Summit Direct built Pentium boxes I came across over the years. Probably shaving $20 off the system cost, but way to shoot it in both feet and tie it to an anvil.

Well anyway, DOS games through to quake, you're really not going to notice the 256K limit much... there was maybe one or two SVGA games where you'll miss it a bit more, but they tend to be slideshows unless you've got a PCI card... Windows you won't get 256 colors apart from at 640x480.... about the only reason I can think of to prefer the TVGA then is a game like Sim City, not fast enough moving that frame rate matter a lot, but that is better with a bit higher resolution and color.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 4 of 10, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I am going to a DX50-ish build I think, so the ISA card, if it's not terrible, ought to be ok. 20+ fps in Doom would be fine for me, it's how I used to play it when I was a kid, I can live with that again.. That said, my DX33 at the time had a quality CL VLB SVGA card, I had no idea how lucky I was until I saw my friend's SX25 with a Trident card struggling to scroll in Sim City 2000 😒 So yeah, I'm kind of conflicted and scared. I don't want to pay $50 for a decent ISA CL VGA card (452x, 453x) but I can't find one for cheap. These are what I have at hand, so I guess I will try both regardless.

In the meantime, I stumbled across this on Retronn.de: ftp://retronn.de/docs/eliandas_isa_vga_roundup.pdf

It seems to indicate that while the TVGA9000B is a slow ISA card, the CL5401 is not really faster, and lacks the 512K which would allow 800x600 Windows 3.1.. So I'm still leaning towards the TVGA, but I will try both and do system benchmarks before I decide.

I'm planning to build the system tonight, if I can decide on which sound card to use (CT2290 vs ES688/OPL3). I will share my findings here. For the good of all of us. Except the ones who are dead, of course.

Reply 6 of 10, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What is the difference between the Trident 9000i and 9000B? I remember the 9000i as being not too bad.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 8 of 10, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
derSammler wrote:

The 9000i has the RAMDAC integrated, on the 9000B it is external.

I'm using a TVGA9000 in one of my 286 PCs as well. They are totally sufficient for anything below a 386DX.

Good luck to me with a 486 then I guess. Damn I need to find a decent 16-bit ISA card for cheap 🙁

Reply 10 of 10, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
derSammler wrote:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/332410436479

Not sure if that is cheap... 😉

Why are you looking for an ISA card, actually? Are you using a 486 mainboard that has neither PCI nor VLB slots?

That is exactly the reason, no VLB or ISA on my 486 board.

25 EUR isn't cheap in my book 🙁