VOGONS

your thoughts some video cards?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 31, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not exactly sure how to get "vanilla" Half-Life 2 working, but I do know that my DVD install disks install STEAM, so yeah.

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png

Reply 21 of 31, by ElectroMan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

‎‎‎

Last edited by ElectroMan on 2017-12-03, 13:55. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 22 of 31, by SPBHM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
FFXIhealer wrote:

Not exactly sure how to get "vanilla" Half-Life 2 working, but I do know that my DVD install disks install STEAM, so yeah.

as far as I can remember the full game is on the DVD, it only uses Steam to activate/update so on top of that you need files people used to run "less legal" copies of HL2 back then like the modified .exe

I think the DVD didn't include the .exe and so on and at the launch date it downloaded those via steam, I might be wrong.

Reply 23 of 31, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It would be very interesting to get vanilla HL2 working on my AthlonXP retro build. It's supposed to be powerful enough to play it, though at low settings.
It plays totally fine on my 2005 Dell gaming laptop, but that has a much more powerful 7800GTX graphics card, so no surprise there.

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png

Reply 24 of 31, by mkubiak402

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
FFXIhealer wrote:

It would be very interesting to get vanilla HL2 working on my AthlonXP retro build. It's supposed to be powerful enough to play it, though at low settings.
It plays totally fine on my 2005 Dell gaming laptop, but that has a much more powerful 7800GTX graphics card, so no surprise there.

i do have a copy of it i don't remember where i found it but it is cracked for no CD i played it a little bit on my AMD Athlon XP 3200+ and 6600GT and it ran good.

DOS 6.22 FIC-486-VIP-IO AM486-DX2 66Mhz 64mg
Win98se MS-5169 AMD K6-III+ 450 @ 550Mhz 512mg Voodoo 5 5500.
Win98se GA-6VXE7+ Intel Pentium III 750 512mg Voodoo 5 5500.
Win XP MS-6712 AMD Athlon Xp 2700+ 2gb 6600GT

Reply 25 of 31, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have a copy of the original orange box and I am pretty sure it ran on my Barton 2500+

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 26 of 31, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have two different copies - the original Half-Life 2 retail box that came with Counter-Strike: Source, Half-Life 2: Deathmatch, and Half-Life: Source....and the Orange Box that came with HL2, HL2 Episode One, HL2 Episode Two, Team Fortress 2, and Portal.

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png

Reply 27 of 31, by spiroyster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Fwiw, I wasted far too much of my life when I was a weed smoking piss head student on counter strike source , literally use to play that until the sun came up on my Athlon xp 1600 with a geforce 4 Ti 4200 and still managed to keep my kd ratio above 1... So I can guarantee it would work on said setup and be playable.

I have never played hl2, you used to have to download the hl2 demo and then CSS through steam.

kids... just say no o.0

Reply 28 of 31, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's the source 2007 update, you can however "find" non steam versions of the original 2004 release that also have support for dx7 and unoffical dx6

I played it in 04 on a Duron 1600 with a geforce 4 mx400 @ 10x7 that system also played far cry

Reply 30 of 31, by Logistics

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
candle_86 wrote:

Yea XP has massive code bloat, i tried SP3 and SP1 both on a Pentium II 400, with 256mb of ram. SP1 worked fine a few slow downs but nothing terrible, SP3 however i wanted to throw it out of a window for all the pain and suffering it was causing me.

I don't recall whether you have to use SP1 or pre-service pack, but if you install XP with no ACPI it will improve performance, quite a bit! I used to do this with all my older systems, including Tualatins.

Reply 31 of 31, by elod

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Logistics wrote:
candle_86 wrote:

Yea XP has massive code bloat, i tried SP3 and SP1 both on a Pentium II 400, with 256mb of ram. SP1 worked fine a few slow downs but nothing terrible, SP3 however i wanted to throw it out of a window for all the pain and suffering it was causing me.

I don't recall whether you have to use SP1 or pre-service pack, but if you install XP with no ACPI it will improve performance, quite a bit! I used to do this with all my older systems, including Tualatins.

Why bother at all with the midlife crisis of XP? 2000, and XP SP3 should cover the period well.